Low IMA Pulley Task

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Low IMA Pulley Task

Post by PM2017 »

Where are people getting their weights? They seem ridiculously expensive.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
VictoryChicken
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by VictoryChicken »

Unome wrote:
Tesel wrote:The easier thing would be a simple block and tackle type pulley (I think that's what it's called). One fixed pulley and one movable pulley give you an IMA of 0.5 so long as you pull down on the movable pulley.
Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png
Wow thanks for the illustration! Could you explain how you apply the effort in the example of the pulley system with the IMA of 0.50? Would the effort be pulled up?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

VictoryChicken wrote:
Unome wrote:
Tesel wrote:The easier thing would be a simple block and tackle type pulley (I think that's what it's called). One fixed pulley and one movable pulley give you an IMA of 0.5 so long as you pull down on the movable pulley.
Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png
Wow thanks for the illustration! Could you explain how you apply the effort in the example of the pulley system with the IMA of 0.50? Would the effort be pulled up?
No, it's pulled downward as usual (because it's better to let gravity do the work for you).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

PM2017 wrote:Where are people getting their weights? They seem ridiculously expensive.
Try your HS physics department.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

davecutting wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Where are people getting their weights? They seem ridiculously expensive.
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, that solution isn't available to us.
One of the physics teachers at our school hates SciOly, so she won't help us. The other one doesn't have any to lend us, especially not for the whole year.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

PM2017 wrote:
davecutting wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, that solution isn't available to us.
One of the physics teachers at our school hates SciOly, so she won't help us. The other one doesn't have any to lend us, especially not for the whole year.
Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Ajax-Scientific- ... eel+weight

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-S ... eel+weight

I'd probably go with the second one since I can 3D print an adapter, but the first one has a nice hook on it for your string. I'd also suggest setting up some sort of linear rod with a recirculating linear ball bearing so that the weight stays where it should.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
VictoryChicken

Post by VictoryChicken »

Unome wrote:
VictoryChicken wrote:
Unome wrote: Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png
No, it's pulled downward as usual (because it's better to let gravity do the work for you).

Got it. Thanks!
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Unome wrote:

low IMA pulley.png
Hey! Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand the 0.5 IMA pulley. How does the effort pull down if the Circle represents the disk of the pulley? Also how would you connect that to the 7:1 pulley?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:

low IMA pulley.png
Hey! Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand the 0.5 IMA pulley. How does the effort pull down if the Circle represents the disk of the pulley? Also how would you connect that to the 7:1 pulley?
The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote: Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png
The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.
But how does the effort cause the pulley to move if it is connected to the disk of one of the pulleys? If I understand the diagnosis correctly, a string weaves through two disk and holds a load on one end while being fixed on the other. So how could the effort pull anything if it is connected to the disk?

Return to “Mission Possible C”