State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Forensics C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
depo1213 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
What do you mean by appendices?
I mean like where they refer to an apendix in a question and then you have to go into the back of the book to look for Appendix A or B.

For example the questions could be like determine the fibers. Fibers can be found in Appendix A. So you have to go to the back of the booklet for find it.
Huh, I've never taken a test that has done that...
I've taken Astro tests that do that. It can be a little disorienting, but if the test proctor allows you to detach pages from the booklet, I'd definitely recommend you do that. It's a good general science skill to be able to get data from an external reference and use it to answer a question.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

WhatScience? wrote:Why would you even want to touch the dead body of an animal?
Because examining deaths are a thing in forensics, in both the SciOly event and real life. :P

After all...
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Stefannli
Division: C
State: DE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stefannli »

Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image
d4dd7y00n
State: GA

Post by d4dd7y00n »

Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image
The peak on the rightmost side is tells you the molar mass of the molecular formula. You see that the rightmost peak is around m/e of ~46, which corresponds to the molar mass of the ethanol
Stefannli

Post by Stefannli »

d4dd7y00n wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks! Image
The peak on the rightmost side is tells you the molar mass of the molecular formula. You see that the rightmost peak is around m/e of ~46, which corresponds to the molar mass of the ethanol

I was asking for the molecular formula, not the molar mass. Sorry for any confusion.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Stefannli wrote:
d4dd7y00n wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Can anyone please explain HOW to determine the molecular formula of this mass spec? Thanks!
I was asking for the molecular formula, not the molar mass. Sorry for any confusion.
Usually the molecules used for these are taken from a list of carbohydrates; find a list for this and match the molecular weight to the carbohydrate.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Have yall ever had to determine the direction of impact for glass?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Stefannli

Post by Stefannli »

Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Stefannli wrote:Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?
They should be. That's on the event supervisor.
Panda Weasley wrote:Have yall ever had to determine the direction of impact for glass?
I've personally never seen it on any tests I've taken, nor have I used it yet on tests that I've written. I think the reason why would be that maybe supervisors don't wanna write a problem for it or a lot of the images may not be able to show much detail of the impact spot beyond the spot where it hit and the resulting cracks surrounding it.

Thanks for the idea tho, I’ll consider it for the future :twisted:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Stefannli wrote:
d4dd7y00n wrote:
Usually the molecules used for these are taken from a list of carbohydrates; find a list for this and match the molecular weight to the carbohydrate.
In reality it's waaaaaayyyy more complicated than that. It's quite an advanced organic chemistry topic, actually. Those textbooks may have some info on that.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on January 21st, 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
Stefannli wrote:Are Bunsen burners and hot water baths usually provided in invitational competitions such as Princeton?
They should be. That's on the event supervisor.
:lol:
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2018 Lab Events”