Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Florida 2018

Post by Verdigris »

Forgot that both of the usual Florida faces have already graduated. ^^'

State website (regional information)

Regionals: (listed in order of tournament date; dates listed are for both Divisions B and C)
North: University of Florida, Gainesville- January 13, 2018 (regional website)
Central: Lake Nona High School, Orlando- January 13, 2018
Southwest: Florida Southwestern State College, Fort Meyers- January 20, 2018
Northwest: University of West Florida, Pensacola- February 10, 2018
Southeast: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton- February 17, 2018 (regional website)
East: Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona- February 17, 2018
South: University of Miami, Miami- February 17, 2018 (regional website)

State: University of Central Florida, Orlando- March 24, 2018 (state information)
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Re: Florida 2018

Post by WhatScience? »

Verdigris wrote:Forgot that both of the usual Florida faces have already graduated. ^^'

Regionals: (listed in order of tournament date; dates listed are for both Divisions B and C)
Southeast: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton- February 17, 2018 (regional website)

State: University of Central Florida, Orlando- March 24, 2018 (state information)
2 teams showed up for the first Div c regional...7 for B...does it get more competitive around states???
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

WhatScience? wrote:
Verdigris wrote:Forgot that both of the usual Florida faces have already graduated. ^^'

2 teams showed up for the first Div c regional...7 for B...does it get more competitive around states???
Div B states doesn't have very strong teams. Div C is basically Boca Raton and everyone else.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

Central Florida Regional Results (score site)
Moving onto State from Division B:
1st: B15- Orlando Science
2nd: B10- Sanford Middle
3rd: B23- Trinity Prep
4th: B18- Orlando Science
5th: B04- Bok Academy
6th: B20- Seminole Science
7th: B25- Arbor Ridge
8th: B12- Lake Nona Middle (home team gotta represent)

Moving onto State from Division C:
1st: C29- Olympia High
2nd: C10- Orlando Science
3rd: C14- Lake Nona High (HOME TEAM GOTTA REPRESENT)
4th: C30- Olympia High
5th: C40- Holy Trinity
6th: C23- Trinity Prep
7th: C12- Seminole High

Particular props to Holy Trinity- I'm pretty sure this is their first year doing Science Olympiad, so it's nice to see them move onto State. ^^ (Also if anyone from Olympia High is reading this, I see your six teams. :P )

And yeah, State gets a lot more competitive, what with Boca Raton and Archimedean. Also a lot of the regions have really small regionals- ours is an outlier, with 35-40 teams per division, but I've heard of regionals where you can just show up and automatically move on.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Northern Florida Regional Results (detailed score breakdown)http://uf.soss.floridascienceolympiad.o ... 2018&embed
Division B
BB4 River City Science Academy - 1st (Home team represent)
BB6 River City Science Academy Group 2 - 2nd
BB1 Fairview Blue - 3rd
BB5 TSMS - 4th
BB2 Fairview Red - 5th
BB7 Bluewave Middle - 6th

Division C
CC1 Dixie County High School STEM Club - 1st
CC2 Fort White High School Indians - 2nd
kimpossiblee
Division: B

Post by kimpossiblee »

Forgot the West regional which happened on February third :(
2018 Events- Anatomy and Physiology, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Roller Coaster
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

Florida States Predictions?

Division B
1.) Archimedean Middle Conservatory - Continue to be the dominant force in Florida Div B and I would expect that to continue to this year.
2.) Orlando Science School - Also have been pretty consistent throughout the years. While it is pretty close between AMC and Orlando Science School, AMC has a lot of experience and heavy parent/teacher involvement so I would continue to give them the edge.
3.) I am not familiar enough with Div B to make a justified prediction for 3rd.

Division C
1.) Boca Raton Community High School - Division C in Florida is going to be EXTREMELY interesting/close this year IMO. While Boca has been dominant for almost a decade now, this has finally changed as they were beat by Archimedean Upper Conservatory at the FAU SE Regionals for the first time in almost a decade (albeit by only a few points after a few events were rescored after awards). While many on this forum expected Boca to do well again this season after a record-breaking nationals performance (12th), nearly all of the physics/chemistry/engineering event competitors that played major roles in making Boca so strong graduated and a few more retired from the team following MIT. I truly believe that consistency in variable events (most engineering events) and luck will play and extremely significant role at the state tournament this year (more so than ever in the past). The only reason I can justify this prediction is that they have more competition experience than Archimedean Upper Conservatory and Cardinal Gibbons and therefore have the best chance at adapting to poor test/event conditions (which will almost certainly occur as is the nature of state tournaments).
2.) Archimedean Upper Conservatory - In addition to finally overthrowing Boca at the FAU SE Regional, AUC has shown to be much more consistent this year than in the past across the board. I really believe that they have an extremely good chance of overthrowing Boca at states and i think they know it too. They also performed significantly better at MIT than in previous years while Boca's performance fell 10 places. The key players in this team did not graduate from what I can tell (for the most part at least) and that additional experience can give them that extra edge to finally win states.
3.) Cardinal Gibbons High School - I am so impressed at this teams improvement over past years. They went from a school that took a few medals, usually in engineering events, to force comparable to Boca and AUC. The only thing that I see that may hold them back is that once placed in a more competitive environment at States, their lower-placing events will fall signifianctly lower (big fish little pond entering the ocean scenario). I do however believe they will do much better than in the past and certainly have a shot at a nationals bid this year.

Overall, I am extremely excited to see how events unfold this upcoming weekend. I wrote the Remote Sensing C test and will be personally supervising Mission Possible C and will be presenting at the awards ceremony so I will be quite busy Saturday, but feel free to come visit during/before impound! There has been a live stream in recent history, but I am unsure if that will continue to this year. I will post a link if there is one!
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

I believe that Orlando Science will not get second as my school beat them in the invitationals. In I'd say 2 or 3 events they have not mastered. But that was earlier this year so they probably have perfected. Although for my school, River City Science Academy. We have a very strong team this year and are confident that we will be placed in the top 3.
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

Question, has everyone else received the news article for Forensics already? I don't believe that our team ever received ours, though we're in the process of double-checking to make sure there wasn't a mixup.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

State Results Div B: They havent posted results online yet so I dont know 4th - all.
1st : River City Science Academy (home team)
2nd: Archimedean Middle
3rd: Orlando Science School
Im extremely excited that we won, this is the first in school history.
Last edited by Killboe on March 24th, 2018, 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”