Motor

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Motor

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 10th, 2018, 10:00 am

MadCow2357 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am relatively new to Battery Buggy, but I did help with Scrambler last year. I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of options I have to choose from online (I want to look at some motors before I decide. What is a good rpm for the motor, and what is a reasonable price? Also,, are there are good brands that I should look out for?

Thanks, MadCow2357

retired1 wrote:
Pololu 25D is 6 volts and available in several rpm's. It is a bit more expensive than generic Chinese motors.

Don't look at just RPM, just a warning...
salty

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby retired1 » January 10th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Most any motor rpm will work, but then you need to pay very close attention to the # of teeth on both the driven and the driver gear.
I selected the 460 output rpm of the Polou 25D. It would have been a lot easier if I had used the next higher rpm which was about 1,000 . That would have allowed the 2 gears to have been close to the same size. Do not forget the diameter of the motor when choosing gears. Mine gets very close to the axle.

MadCow2357
Division: B
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » January 12th, 2018, 6:10 am

retired1 wrote:Most any motor rpm will work, but then you need to pay very close attention to the # of teeth on both the driven and the driver gear.
I selected the 460 output rpm of the Polou 25D. It would have been a lot easier if I had used the next higher rpm which was about 1,000 . That would have allowed the 2 gears to have been close to the same size. Do not forget the diameter of the motor when choosing gears. Mine gets very close to the axle.

The website says with encoder and without encoder for this motor. Do I need an encoder?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson
Rest in peace Balsa Man. You were a great man. :cry:

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 12th, 2018, 6:29 am

an encoder is not on the allowed list of electrical components, so you don't need it and it would be against the rules. Plus, you have nothing to read data from it like a micro controller.
salty

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 15th, 2018, 8:17 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:an encoder is not on the allowed list of electrical components, so you don't need it and it would be against the rules. Plus, you have nothing to read data from it like a micro controller.

Thanks.
MadCow2357's Userpage
"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 15th, 2018, 8:20 am

retired1 wrote:Most any motor rpm will work, but then you need to pay very close attention to the # of teeth on both the driven and the driver gear.

Is $21 a reasonable price for a motor? Is 460 rpm good enough?
MadCow2357's Userpage

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 15th, 2018, 8:21 am

MadCow2357 wrote:

I meant the Polulu 25D 460 rpm without an encoder:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1572
MadCow2357's Userpage

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 15th, 2018, 4:36 pm

If I were to use a 6v motor, could I use a battery holder for 8 AAs (12 volts)? Or would I need a battery holder for 4 AAs instead

Thanks, MadCow2357
MadCow2357's Userpage

builder83
State: -

Postby builder83 » January 15th, 2018, 4:50 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:If I were to use a 6v motor, could I use a battery holder for 8 AAs (12 volts)? Or would I need a battery holder for 4 AAs instead

Thanks, MadCow2357

I tries 8 and 7 and 6 batteries and it melted stuff. 4 maybe 5 will work.

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 15th, 2018, 5:24 pm

^
salty

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 16th, 2018, 6:20 am

MadCow2357 wrote:

MadCow2357's Userpage

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I will be using the Polulu 25D (6V), which retired1 recommended, but I am still deciding which rpm version I should get. 460 rpm was recommended by retired1, but I think it would be safer to go with the 2150 rpm, which is the highest rpm without an encoder. I can always use gears to slow down the Buggy. Or, all are of the motors the same thing, except they are geared differently, having greater or less torque depending on the rpm chosen. I'm open to suggestions of other motors as well, since I have very limited experience in this.
MadCow2357's Userpage

builder83
State: -

Postby builder83 » January 21st, 2018, 6:59 pm

I see a lot of 6v motor auggestions. Any 12v motors working well?

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » January 21st, 2018, 7:32 pm

builder83 wrote:I see a lot of 6v motor auggestions. Any 12v motors working well?

I'd assume they are suitable...
salty

Return to “Battery Buggy B”