2018 Solon High School Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: 2018 Solon High School Invitational

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Ok so here’s the scoop on scores and results. As is typical for host schools, we will not be winning medals or trophies during our awards ceremony.

We have discussed at length whether to release our own results (we have not done so in the past) and decided not to (which is a change from my post last fall). This decision mostly hinges on our intent to allow all 40+ members of our club to compete, some of whom will compete under different team numbers for different events. Additionally, some of our students have been asked to review the submitted tests and exams for their events, or have asked to try an event for fun. In short, we don’t believe our scores will be a fair representation.

As we did last year, we WILL be releasing raw scores with as much detail as possible. These will be sent to coaches and accompany the electronic copies of our tests and keys.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:It sounds sketchy to totally hide raw scores and placements... idk though, just me.
Pretty standard from past Solon HS invites.
I know that Solon has done this before at their invitational and Mentor does it at theirs. Rather than considering it "sketchy" I always thought it was classy. They are hosting the tournament and they are letting the tournament be less about their team and more about their guests. Also since tests were submitted ahead of time it removes the possibility of results being questioned if the hosting school does really well.
I'm sure it's culturally influenced. Generally the top IL teams don't host invites, and those that do will otherwise compete as normal and rank themselves - whereas in Ohio it's generally different.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

On an unrelated note - would anyone attending be interested in a Scioly meetup to put faces with names? I am sure we can find a room near our auditorium for a brief meetup prior to awards. PM or reply if you're interested so I can gauge whether this would be worthwhile.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

I think that would be fun, except I don’t know if I can because Div C and Div B are in different places.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
ScottMaurer19
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Froggie wrote:I think that would be fun, except I don’t know if I can because Div C and Div B are in different places.
Yea that would be something to ask the MS coaches about.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

If I may ask—what will the awards be? Since there will be no medalling and trophies?
Deleted
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

DarthBuilder wrote:If I may ask—what will the awards be? Since there will be no medalling and trophies?
No medalling and trophies for the Solon students. There will be medals for individual events (top 8) and for team awards there are trophies (also top 8?)
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

@unome That’s an interesting way of looking at it! In Illinois, hidden raw scores, or not even bringing a build, almost always mean someone is trying to hide their performance. Ive heard of Mira loma doing this, but in Illinois it’s sketchy when it happens.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to see how my events due against a top nats team. *cough Solon mission*
NT '19
Harvard '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Ashernoel wrote:@unome That’s an interesting way of looking at it! In Illinois, hidden raw scores, or not even bringing a build, almost always mean someone is trying to hide their performance. Ive heard of Mira loma doing this, but in Illinois it’s sketchy when it happens.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to see how my events due against a top nats team. *cough Solon mission*
Solon isn't "hiding" their builds and scores, they just want to ensure that their competition's emphasis is on their guests and not themselves (which I feel is very fair and justified). Additionally for a build event such as mission where the max score is relatively capped (other than size dimensions and the timer realistically), it shouldnt matter to you what other teams are getting. You should be able to set an obtainable goal for your device without needing to see other team's scores solely based on the scoring rubric and the knowledge that top national teams will have all tasks, relatively accurate chemical clock (prob +/-4 or 5 seconds), and relatively small size (def less than approx 30cm on each length).
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

windu34 wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:@unome That’s an interesting way of looking at it! In Illinois, hidden raw scores, or not even bringing a build, almost always mean someone is trying to hide their performance. Ive heard of Mira loma doing this, but in Illinois it’s sketchy when it happens.

Solon isn't "hiding" their builds and scores, they just want to ensure that their competition's emphasis is on their guests and not themselves (which I feel is very fair and justified). Additionally for a build event such as mission where the max score is relatively capped (other than size dimensions and the timer realistically), it shouldnt matter to you what other teams are getting. You should be able to set an obtainable goal for your device without needing to see other team's scores solely based on the scoring rubric and the knowledge that top national teams will have all tasks, relatively accurate chemical clock (prob +/-4 or 5 seconds), and relatively small size (def less than approx 30cm on each length).
I think his point with mission is he wants to see my scores :)
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):