Crime Busters B

Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Also, zinc has a higher density and fizzes with HCl.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Benewcomb
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Benewcomb »

Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.
love you <3
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Benewcomb wrote:Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.
Plastics you need to differentiate:
PETE
HDPE
PVC
LDPE
PP
PS
PMMA
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Benewcomb
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Benewcomb »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Benewcomb wrote:Would we have to know the difference between types of plastic? Because I haven’t gotten to check if we have that information in our binder.
Plastics you need to differentiate:
PETE
HDPE
PVC
LDPE
PP
PS
PMMA
K thanks. I’m on it.
love you <3
pandascienceolympiad

Post by pandascienceolympiad »

Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?
1) Try to not mix the flour or cornstarch in water first. Also, your solutes and solvents might be old, try using newer ones.
2) Try looking at the mixture under a microscope first, and try and come up with possible powders it could be based on your results
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

pandascienceolympiad wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?
1) Try to not mix the flour or cornstarch in water first. Also, your solutes and solvents might be old, try using newer ones.
2) Try looking at the mixture under a microscope first, and try and come up with possible powders it could be based on your results
Thank you! We got a new KI, and it seems to work much better.
I like birds.
lamppost

Post by lamppost »

I'm also new to this event and I'd like to know-are we allowed to put charts on our sheets? Or should we not waste pages on that and fill it with other useful info?
what is going on
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

There is nothing saying you cannot have charts on your cheat sheet. You can put whatever you want...
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

lamppost wrote:I'm also new to this event and I'd like to know-are we allowed to put charts on our sheets? Or should we not waste pages on that and fill it with other useful info?
2018 Crime Busters rules wrote:...Teams may bring five double-sided 8.5" x 11" sheets of paper with information from any source.

I have no regrets.
Polarrr

Post by Polarrr »

lamppost wrote:I'm also new to this event and I'd like to know-are we allowed to put charts on our sheets? Or should we not waste pages on that and fill it with other useful info?
I think that putting charts for helping with powder and fiber identification would be useful... you do have five sheets front and back and you'd be surprised how much you can fit on there.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”