Thermodynamics B/C

appleshake123
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by appleshake123 »

I also really loved how they used syringes. The water could be poured directly into the beaker without spilling, lost of heat is lessened etc. The test was really good esp with the time limit of your water testing. Overall that was really well ran
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
arv101
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by arv101 »

Ashernoel wrote:At solon, Mason ran the event with large syringes to get the perfect volume of 75 ml (iirc) which is a pretty great idea. The test was the best test I've taken to date, in my opinion, especially considering we had 35 minutes to complete it (albeit I did not attend MIT this year).
Are you allowed to trade the Solon test? "The test was the best test I've taken to date," I am intrigued.
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

arv101 wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:At solon, Mason ran the event with large syringes to get the perfect volume of 75 ml (iirc) which is a pretty great idea. The test was the best test I've taken to date, in my opinion, especially considering we had 35 minutes to complete it (albeit I did not attend MIT this year).
Are you allowed to trade the Solon test? "The test was the best test I've taken to date," I am intrigued.
Haha it was only the third test Thermodynamics* test I had taken (at competition), but I thought it had a fair representation of the concepts on the rules and had a nice balance between easy, medium, and hard problems. It was the first test where we had to get through it before our water was done cooling, which pressured us for time and made things even more fun as we tested our guessing skills on the last few problems.

Personally, I do not support trading, but you may be able to talk to someone from one of the other 65 schools that took the test.
NT '19
Harvard '23
Billbillsmiths
State: OH

Post by Billbillsmiths »

Get the “aerogel thermal warp” from buyaerogel.com
they are great no glass . Can make a great device from it
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Billbillsmiths wrote:Get the “aerogel thermal warp” from buyaerogel.com
My first thought was it would have fiberglass in it but I can’t tell from the MSDS if it does.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
My first thought was it would have fiberglass in it but I can’t tell from the MSDS if it does.
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/PzV2oB0r8GvtK/giphy.gif[/img]
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
That’s what I thought too but “can make a great device from it” seemed legit. Anyway, I seriously am surprised by the MSDS, because nearly all aerogel blankets have fiberglass or rock wool, but I couldn’t find it on that one.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: My first thought was it would have fiberglass in it but I can’t tell from the MSDS if it does.
That’s what I thought too but “can make a great device from it” seemed legit. Anyway, I seriously am surprised by the MSDS, because nearly all aerogel blankets have fiberglass or rock wool, but I couldn’t find it on that one.
Spam hints:
1. It's their only post.
2. Capitalization, punctuation, and grammar are incorrect.
3. It includes a link.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Bobbycat

Post by Bobbycat »

After reading the rules I'm assuming that having the hole with a sliced opening over it is not allowed. It could be opened by pushing the thermometer through. I ask because rule 3 E states that the device must also easily, accommodate the insertion and removal of a thermometer probe into the beaker via a hole. I can easily insert and remove a 1.5 centimeter centimeter in diameter thermometer in my device even though it's partially occluded when there's no thermometer in place however the last sentence of the this particular subsection of the rule states the whole must remain open and unobstructed during the competition I'm assuming then that you couldn't partially occluded with some light material that would still allow the thermometer be inserted through it. Has anyone received any clarification on this issue.
Bobbycat

Post by Bobbycat »

mkroy128 wrote:Ice Water Bonus (IWB) = (volume of ice water in ml /10) points
Teams may elect to add up to 50 mL of water from an ice bath to their internal beaker immediately after
receiving the hot water for bonus points. Each team may choose their own volume.

Do any of you know how to effectively use ice water in this event to your advantage? Is 5 points extra really worth the ice water, along with more careful predictions of the final insulator beaker? Or is it useless?

When I run my tests and use ice water my score is lower then without because my device has a HRF of 1.75.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”