Rocks and Minerals B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 11th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Questions
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. What is this specific variety called?
3. What is this mineral an ore of?
4. In England this mineral would be called:
---a. Baride
---b. Baryte
---c. Berite
---d. Beryte

my 150th post!!!

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » February 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. What is this specific variety called?
3. What is this mineral an ore of?
4. In England this mineral would be called:
---a. Baride
---b. Baryte
---c. Berite
---d. Beryte

my 150th post!!!


Answers
1. Barite
2. Barite Rose
3. Barium
4. Baryte

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 11th, 2018, 2:42 pm

pb5754[] wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. What is this specific variety called?
3. What is this mineral an ore of?
4. In England this mineral would be called:
---a. Baride
---b. Baryte
---c. Berite
---d. Beryte

my 150th post!!!


Answers
1. Barite
2. Barite Rose
3. Barium
4. Baryte

Correct, your turn.
nooo not 150 now

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » February 11th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Questions
Image
1. What mineral is this?
2. The name of this mineral comes from what Greek word?
3. What does this Greek word mean?
4. This mineral forms a complete solid solution series with what other mineral?
5. What ion causes the pink color of this mineral?

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 11th, 2018, 3:05 pm

pb5754[] wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What mineral is this?
2. The name of this mineral comes from what Greek word?
3. What does this Greek word mean?
4. This mineral forms a complete solid solution series with what other mineral?
5. What ion causes the pink color of this mineral?

Nats level?
1. Rhodochrosite
2. Won't copy paste from my binder, but it means rose-colored
3. ^^^
4. FeCO3
5. Mn?

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » February 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm

dxu46 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What mineral is this?
2. The name of this mineral comes from what Greek word?
3. What does this Greek word mean?
4. This mineral forms a complete solid solution series with what other mineral?
5. What ion causes the pink color of this mineral?

Nats level?
1. Rhodochrosite
2. Won't copy paste from my binder, but it means rose-colored
3. ^^^
4. FeCO3
5. Mn?

For #5 I wanted Mn2+ but yeah everythings good.
Lol I forgot Rhodochrosite was a nats mineral.
Your turn.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Questions
Image
1. What is this rock?
2. Name the top three minerals that make up this rock.
3. What is this mineral's composition (felsic/intermediate/mafic/ultramafic)?
4. Fill in the blanks: This rock is the ______ (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of ______ (rock).
5. When, where, and who named this rock?

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby kate! » February 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What is this rock?
2. Name the top three minerals that make up this rock.
3. What is this mineral's composition (felsic/intermediate/mafic/ultramafic)?
4. Fill in the blanks: This rock is the ______ (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of ______ (rock).
5. When, where, and who named this rock?


Answers
1. Well I was going to say diorite... oops. The image says gabbro. The same image is also in our binder lol
2. calcium rich plagioclase feldspar, augite, small amounts of olivine and pyroxene
3. mafic
4. plutonic, basalt
5. i'm not sure.... i could only find that it was named after a town in tuscany, italy.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 13th, 2018, 4:49 pm

kate! wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Questions
Image
1. What is this rock?
2. Name the top three minerals that make up this rock.
3. What is this mineral's composition (felsic/intermediate/mafic/ultramafic)?
4. Fill in the blanks: This rock is the ______ (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of ______ (rock).
5. When, where, and who named this rock?


Answers
1. Well I was going to say diorite... oops. The image says gabbro. The same image is also in our binder lol
2. calcium rich plagioclase feldspar, augite, small amounts of olivine and pyroxene
3. mafic
4. plutonic, basalt
5. i'm not sure.... i could only find that it was named after a town in tuscany, italy.

Oops, I shouldn't have put where for question #5...but the rest was 1809, Christian Leopold von Buch.

Everything else is correct, your turn.

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby kate! » February 13th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Questions!
Image
1. What rock is this?
2. How does it usually form?
3. This rock is the (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of (what rock?)
4. Name 4 minerals in this rock's composition.
5. Does it have a high or low silica content?
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 13th, 2018, 5:06 pm

kate! wrote:
Questions!
Image
1. What rock is this?
2. How does it usually form?
3. This rock is the (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of (what rock?)
4. Name 4 minerals in this rock's composition.
5. Does it have a high or low silica content?

Answers
(bad at rock questions but hey I need to improve)
1. Rhyolite
2. Felsic lava cools quickly, but not rapidly, above the surface of the earth
3. Volcanic, Granite
4. Quartz, Alkali Feldspar, Biotite
5. High? (it's basically quartz right?)

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby kate! » February 13th, 2018, 5:07 pm

dxu46 wrote:
kate! wrote:
Questions!
Image
1. What rock is this?
2. How does it usually form?
3. This rock is the (plutonic/volcanic) equivalent of (what rock?)
4. Name 4 minerals in this rock's composition.
5. Does it have a high or low silica content?

Answers
(bad at rock questions but hey I need to improve)
1. Rhyolite
2. Felsic lava cools quickly, but not rapidly, above the surface of the earth
3. Volcanic, Granite
4. Quartz, Alkali Feldspar, Biotite
5. High? (it's basically quartz right?)


Yep! Great job, your turn.
P.S. I was just on the IRC and when you left, I said "maybe they left to answer my question" so I left too, and there was your answer haha
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 14th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Question
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. Who was this mineral named after?
3. What is this mineral's tenacity?
4. What will happen if I clean this mineral with water?
5. Stacks of this mineral are called what?
6. In what part of the Bowen's Reaction Series is this mineral in? (What type of rock does it form in?)

Polarrr
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: October 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm
State: -

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby Polarrr » February 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Question
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. Who was this mineral named after?
3. What is this mineral's tenacity?
4. What will happen if I clean this mineral with water?
5. Stacks of this mineral are called what?
6. In what part of the Bowen's Reaction Series is this mineral in? (What type of rock does it form in?)


Answer:
1. Biotite
2. Jean-Baptiste Biot
3. Sectile and elastic
4. It will absorb water and start to break apart.
5. I think they're called "books?"
6. Forms felsic rocks. Melts at lower temperatures.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » February 14th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Polarrr wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Question
Image
1. What is this mineral?
2. Who was this mineral named after?
3. What is this mineral's tenacity?
4. What will happen if I clean this mineral with water?
5. Stacks of this mineral are called what?
6. In what part of the Bowen's Reaction Series is this mineral in? (What type of rock does it form in?)


Answer:
1. Biotite
2. Jean-Baptiste Biot
3. Sectile and elastic
4. It will absorb water and start to break apart.
5. I think they're called "books?"
6. Forms felsic rocks. Melts at lower temperatures.

Correct, your turn.


Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest