Crime Busters B

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

In my opinion, they should change the event so that no even sheet is allowed, and also cut down on some of the random trivia asked, and stick more to the concept of the crime itself.
Polarrr
Has thanked: 0

Post by Polarrr »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:In my opinion, they should change the event so that no even sheet is allowed, and also cut down on some of the random trivia asked, and stick more to the concept of the crime itself.
In my opinion, that wouldn't be a bad idea. However, since you mentioned that there are so many trivia questions on the tests currently, it's kind of useful to have the cheat sheets. Also, it's pretty convenient for a gentle reminder sometimes for polymer density or powders. Probably not going to happen but a good idea if they removed trivia. Would make the event a lot more challenging.
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Polarrr wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:In my opinion, they should change the event so that no even sheet is allowed, and also cut down on some of the random trivia asked, and stick more to the concept of the crime itself.
In my opinion, that wouldn't be a bad idea. However, since you mentioned that there are so many trivia questions on the tests currently, it's kind of useful to have the cheat sheets. Also, it's pretty convenient for a gentle reminder sometimes for polymer density or powders. Probably not going to happen but a good idea if they removed trivia. Would make the event a lot more challenging.
I think the amount of cheat sheets should be cut down to just one, and i agree, less trivia would be a good idea. However, removing cheat sheets altogether would make this event much more challenging.
I like birds.
shrewdPanther46

Birdmusic wrote:
Polarrr wrote:
I think the amount of cheat sheets should be cut down to just one, and i agree, less trivia would be a good idea. However, removing cheat sheets altogether would make this event much more challenging.
With just a little bit of practice, it all becomes automatically ingrained. No need for a cheatsheet at all. But, the least they can do is cut it down to one sheet for years to come.
Polarrr

Post by Polarrr »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Polarrr wrote:
With just a little bit of practice, it all becomes automatically ingrained. No need for a cheatsheet at all. But, the least they can do is cut it down to one sheet for years to come.
Yep, this is a great idea. When practicing with the powders and fibers continuously, this makes it very easy to recognize when in competition. However, maybe adding one cheat sheet for the uses of powders, metals, or information on soil or other miscellaneous things would be good. Definitely something they should change.
Mcello5

Post by Mcello5 »

knowthewrightstuff wrote:My team has had trouble identifying the difference between water and hydrogen peroxide since they are both odorless and have the same pH. We have tried shaking them and looking for bubbles, but both liquids bubble for us. Are there other methods we could try to effectively identify the difference between these liquids?
Try putting a few drops of iodine in with it and then shake it. Leave it sit for several minutes then if you see bubbles its hydrogen peroxide. Also try blue litmus paper but the more reliable route is the iodine.
shrewdPanther46

In terms of fibers, my partner and I are experiencing some difficulty. Since we must put animal, veg, or synthetic, is it possible for the ES to use some random fiber such as acetate or acrylic?

Also, tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?

Thank You!
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

lamppost wrote:I'm also new to this event and I'd like to know-are we allowed to put charts on our sheets? Or should we not waste pages on that and fill it with other useful info?
Something helpful if you're new: Write out a generalized template for the analysis portion. It will take up about 2% of your total "cheat sheet" area. Chances are you'll be rushing to finish this on time, and having a lot of it pre-written will help you remember how to maximize points on that section.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:In terms of fibers, my partner and I are experiencing some difficulty. Since we must put animal, veg, or synthetic, is it possible for the ES to use some random fiber such as acetate or acrylic?

Also, tips for ID'ing between types as opposed to figuring out the specific fiber type?

Thank You!
yes,... along with polyester, rayon, spandex, and nylon... Now the good news... It's all synthetic... You do not need (and should not) try to identify the specific type of synthetic... Many E/Ss will count it wrong if you try to be too specific!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
shrewdPanther46

Thank you for clarifying. So how would you go about ID ing juts the type as opposed to first IDing the exact fiber and then broadening to synthetic, animal, or veg?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”