Georgia 2018

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Georgia 2018

Post by Unome »

Predictions for this weekend's regionals. As usual, I'm predicting up to my expected maximum possible number of state bids.

UNG-Gainesville B:
1. Dodgen - The pretty clear front-runner. If they get unlucky or Vickery Creek gets lucky the two might switch places, but based on what results we have so far (literally only Chattahoochee) I think that's unlikely.
2. Vickery Creek - Although they got a new coach, they've continued to still do pretty well this year - I very much doubt Crews could beat them.
3. Crews - Top 10 at state for the last three years and being a Brookwood feeder definitely helps. I'm sure they'll be 3rd or 4th.
4. Riverwatch - They did fairly well last year at regionals, primarily losing to Crews because they didn't stack; if they remain as strong they should be able to finish at least this high.

Georgia Southern B:
1. Richmond Hill - This regional is rather hard to predict. Richmond Hill is the only recent state qualifier that I can see here, having finished 18th at state last year.
2. Davidson Fine Arts - They intermittently qualify for state, although I'm not certain if they'll beat Irwin County, who I consider the next best here.

Middle Georgia State C:
1. Brookwood - Brookwood is always the safe bet. They tend to have more success than Chattahoochee at local tournaments since they tend to have more depth and infrequently bomb events (as opposed to competitive invitationals and Nationals, where it's generally more likely for Chattahoochee to come out ahead). There hasn't been any compelling reason to predict them lower so far.
2. Chattahoochee - A pretty easy second place pick - based on invitationals, I wouldn't be surprised if both the Brookwood and Chattahoochee B teams finish ahead of everyone else.
3. Parkview - A historically good team that failed to qualify for state last year after pitting themselves against five other 2016 state qualifiers for 3 bids. They finished rather highly at Brookwood this year, so should be in the running for 3rd or 4th.
4. Thomas County Central - A somewhat forgettable team that's still very good - they also failed to qualify for state last year after piling up with a bunch of other good teams at GPC (though they actually finished ahead of Parkview). I think they should be able to hold off everyone else.
5. North Springs - I debated between them and Davidson Fine Arts for this spot, the latter of whom was within a few points of beating the former at regionals last year. I settled on North Springs because of their invitational experience, though from what I've heard they've lost a fairly strong class.

Anyone else willing to make some predictions? (even if they're not this detailed :P )
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Unome wrote:Predictions for this weekend's regionals. As usual, I'm predicting up to my expected maximum possible number of state bids.

UNG-Gainesville B:
1. Dodgen - The pretty clear front-runner. If they get unlucky or Vickery Creek gets lucky the two might switch places, but based on what results we have so far (literally only Chattahoochee) I think that's unlikely.
2. Vickery Creek - Although they got a new coach, they've continued to still do pretty well this year - I very much doubt Crews could beat them.
3. Crews - Top 10 at state for the last three years and being a Brookwood feeder definitely helps. I'm sure they'll be 3rd or 4th.
4. Riverwatch - They did fairly well last year at regionals, primarily losing to Crews because they didn't stack; if they remain as strong they should be able to finish at least this high.

Georgia Southern B:
1. Richmond Hill - This regional is rather hard to predict. Richmond Hill is the only recent state qualifier that I can see here, having finished 18th at state last year.
2. Davidson Fine Arts - They intermittently qualify for state, although I'm not certain if they'll beat Irwin County, who I consider the next best here.

Middle Georgia State C:
1. Brookwood - Brookwood is always the safe bet. They tend to have more success than Chattahoochee at local tournaments since they tend to have more depth and infrequently bomb events (as opposed to competitive invitationals and Nationals, where it's generally more likely for Chattahoochee to come out ahead). There hasn't been any compelling reason to predict them lower so far.
2. Chattahoochee - A pretty easy second place pick - based on invitationals, I wouldn't be surprised if both the Brookwood and Chattahoochee B teams finish ahead of everyone else.
3. Parkview - A historically good team that failed to qualify for state last year after pitting themselves against five other 2016 state qualifiers for 3 bids. They finished rather highly at Brookwood this year, so should be in the running for 3rd or 4th.
4. Starr's Mill - A somewhat forgettable team that's still very good - they also failed to qualify for state last year after piling up with a bunch of other good teams at GPC (though they actually finished ahead of Parkview). I think they should be able to hold off everyone else.
5. North Springs - I debated between them and Davidson Fine Arts for this spot, the latter of whom was within a few points of beating the former at regionals last year. I settled on North Springs because of their invitational experience, though from what I've heard they've lost a fairly strong class.

Anyone else willing to make some predictions? (even if they're not this detailed :P )
Good luck Saturday !
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

MGSU Regionals Preliminary Results:
1. Brookwood (54)
2. Chattahoochee (66)

3. Brookwood (129)
4. Chattahoochee (133)
5. Parkview (153)
6. Richmond Hill (158)
7. North Springs (176)

8. Davidson Fine Arts (188)
9. Paideia (202)
10. Richmond Hill (207)
11. Thomas County Central (208)

Note Astronomy was not counted toward the team score (though it wouldn't have changed the order of the top 5 teams).

Results become final on Monday at 5 PM.
Userpage

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Unome: Any predictions for this weekend?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

rfscoach wrote:Unome: Any predictions for this weekend?
Plenty :)

South Georgia State College:
1. Eighth Street - After finishing 9th at state last year, I think they stand a good chance of winning - I'd call it near-definite except for the small size of the tournament and lack of invitationals.
2. South Effingham - Has a history of success, though they've stopped winning regionals often these days. Should still be fine though.
3. Gatewood - Frequent state qualifier, though they tend not to do so well (I believe they were near-last place in 2017).

Columbus State University:
1. Bennett's Mill - With Blackmon Road falling in recent years, Bennett's Mill is a strong contender to beat them at regionals.
2. Blackmon Road - See above, although I do think it could easily go either way.
3. Madras - I have no idea. They've qualified for state before, so I figure they're at least decent. Arnold Magnet or Richards would be my other picks for this spot.

Gordon State College:
1. Northgate - Relatively easy pick for first, especially after beating McIntosh at regionals last year; though they have lagged a bit at invitationals and at state, they should be fine.
2. Whitewater - Often overshadowed because they haven't qualified for state recently, they probably have a shot at taking this, seeing as there aren't that many regularly strong teams here.
3. East Coweta - Invitational results don't show much this year, nor have they qualified for state recently (although in my opinion the region will probably get 2 bids). I just can't think of any other team able to beat them though.

East Georgia State College:
1. Lakeside - Frequent state qualifier and coming off a 10th place finish at state. Combined with a relatively weak field, they have a good chance of winning.
2. Augusta Area Homeschoolers - Their peak teams from Div B would have graduated, so I'm not sure how they'll do. However, they've only had one year of success in Div C so far - I think they'll qualify again.
3. Southeast Bulloch - Semi-frequent state qualifier - even though they finished 24th at state last year, I wouldn't consider that indicative because of the points cutoff at 13.

University of Georgia:
1. Duluth - Regularly top 10 in the state (though they were 11th last year), they should be the favorite to win, despite a relatively weak finish at Brookwood compared to a few other teams here.
2. Fulton Science Academy - Will definitely take regionals seriously and based on Brookwood results, could even beat Duluth - though I'd bet against it because of Duluth's depth.
3. South Forsyth - Uncommonly strong performance at Brookwood combined with not facing off against the top 3 teams in the state makes their qualification chances much higher than last year.
4. River Ridge - perennial state qualifier that took the fourth spot at Dahlonega last year, pretty likely to qualify. Could be higher than this, I'm just not sure.
If the region gets a fifth bid (in my opinion, unlikely) it'll probably be North Oconee, Mill Creek, or Oconee County.

Kennesaw State-SPSU:
1. Milton - This should be an interesting regional. Milton took 4th by a fair margin at Brookwood, so I think they're most likely to win.
2. Johns Creek - They were relatively close behind at Brookwood - although it appeared that Milton was a little less stacked, Johns Creek seems to have stronger builds, which should help them challenge for first place.
3. Westminster - Doesn't seem quite as strong as last year, and were a ways behind Milton and Johns Creek at Brookwood - not to mention their builds were weaker. I'm pretty certain no one else will beat them though.
4. Lambert - Several teams could take this spot. I think Lambert is the most likely, given their performance at Brookwood and tendency to split teams at invitationals - although last year's regionals results aren't promising. West Forsyth has a shot, and probably would have qualified last year had they not split teams - but the region was much less competitive at the time. Alpharetta likewise seems weaker this year.

Also I don't know how I missed that Richmond Hill was 12th at state last year - knowing that I probably would have predicted their regionals finish correctly.
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

UGA results:

1. Duluth A (80)
2. South Forsyth A (97)
3. River Ridge A (120)
4. North Oconee A (166)
5. Oconee County (175)
6. Duluth B (188)
7. North Oconee B (204)
8. Fulton Science Academy (211)
9. South Forsyth B (214)
10. Mountain View A (247)

Very impressive showing by South Forsyth, even though Duluth seems to be a little weaker than in past years. I also underestimated River Ridge a bit (thought they would be more like ~140s).

I've heard SPSU results, but I'll let any Johns Creek people (if they're still around) share those.
Userpage

BrS
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrS »

SPSU results

1. Johns Creek A (91)
2. Milton A (105)
3. Westminster A (123)
4. Alpharetta A(132)
5. Kennesaw Mountain A (169)
6. Johns Creek B (201)
7. West Forsyth A (203)
8. Lambert A (213)
9. Kennesaw Mountain B (245)
10. Milton B (247)

Results are final Monday at 3:30 p.m.
anagene

Macrh 3rd Regionals Georgia 2018

Post by anagene »

Any predictions for the last weekend of Regional Tournament in Georgia? I can't believe it's almost over - seems like it just started!
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
SciTeach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciTeach »

Does anyone know who is advancing to state from the Division B regionals this weekend?

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”