Hovercraft B/C

QuantumEcho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by QuantumEcho »

Does anyone know how long on average it takes for a SOINC.org FAQ to be answered?
Seven Lakes Junior High ‘17, Obra D. Tompkins High School ‘21
geniusjohn5
Division: C

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Jake R wrote:I know that you need a high static pressure for lift fans, but does cfm matter for list as well? for example, i found this one that i might use https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5230580 is that a good choice for lift? (max load)
CFM barely matters compared to static pressure when it comes to lift fans. Taking a look at the fan you provided in the link, I think that fan looks effective.
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
LittyWap
State: PA

Post by LittyWap »

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any fluid mechanics/Div C practice tests. I was less than satisfied with mine and my partner’s performance at a recent tournament despite having the best build score, (16.89s, 16 rolls). Does anyone have any tests from fargone tournaments; your Physics II homework, anything at all?! I need to really power wash the cobwebs out of my brain.
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Big P
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

LittyWap wrote:Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any fluid mechanics/Div C practice tests. I was less than satisfied with mine and my partner’s performance at a recent tournament despite having the best build score, (16.89s, 16 rolls). Does anyone have any tests from fargone tournaments; your Physics II homework, anything at all?! I need to really power wash the cobwebs out of my brain.
You could probably find solid fluid mechanics questions in any introductory physics textbook, like Giancoli or Halliday and Resnick
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

QuantumEcho wrote:
Does anyone know how long on average it takes for a SOINC.org FAQ to be answered?
it takes a while but if it's over a couple weeks then your question was probably discarded.
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

What affects the effectiveness of a fan more? Amperage or Voltage? I'm deciding between a 1600 mah 8.4 nimh battery and a 3000 mah 8.4 nimh battery.
dmis

Post by dmis »

geniusjohn5 wrote:What affects the effectiveness of a fan more? Amperage or Voltage? I'm deciding between a 1600 mah 8.4 nimh battery and a 3000 mah 8.4 nimh battery.
Oh boy... I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding of both of those concepts. Both current (amperage) and voltage will have an effect on the effectiveness of the fan, but the current through the fan is not really dependent on the capacity (amount of energy of the battery). Notice that when you mention the "amperage" of each battery there is an h after the ma. That means miliamp hours. The addition of the hours to the unit changes the meaning of the term. The battery with the 3000 mah will run longer before needing to be recharged, while the 1600 will run out faster. The 3000 may also be slightly faster/more powerful, due to the lower internal resistance of the battery. I would assume those effects to be largely negligible, unless the fan you have is rated for a lot of current (more than 5A).
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

rc2000 wrote:Would anyone mind recommending me some DC motors & props for lift. I've really been struggling with it. For thrust I plan on using a computer fan.

Also: Im using 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/1600mAh-Battery- ... +volt+nimh to power my hovercraft. Any tips on connecting them?
I would just buy connectors and solder them to the fan. I think its better not to solder anything directly to the battery.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Can anybody provide a link for connectors? I'm trying to find a way to connect the 8.4 v NiMH battery pack to the rest of my circuit.
dmis

Post by dmis »

geniusjohn5 wrote:Can anybody provide a link for connectors? I'm trying to find a way to connect the 8.4 v NiMH battery pack to the rest of my circuit.
There are tons of different types, each with advantages and disadvantages. Amazon, ebay, hobbyking, other hobby shops, etc. Some examples to look up are xt60, turnigy connectors (or mini-turnigy connectors) banana plugs, or Dean's connectors. You could also use quick connect crimp terminals.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”