Dynamic Planet B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by pb5754 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:What did each of the following people contribute to plate tectonics and geology?
1. Abraham Ortelius
2. Marie Tharp
3. Charles Lyell
4. Abraham Gottlob Werner
5. Anton Moro
1. First person to theorize the continents were joined together 2. Used data to create a map of the Atlantic which led to the discovery of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge 3. Popularized work of James Hutton, especially involving uniformitarianism
Correct so far... I'm still looking for #4 and #5
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
allopathie
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by allopathie »

pb5754[] wrote:What did each of the following people contribute to plate tectonics and geology?
4. Abraham Gottlob Werner
5. Anton Moro
Werner was a proponent of Neptunism (that rocks formed from crystallisation of ocean rocks) while Moro proposed the opposing view of plutonium, that igneous rocks arose from magma. I think this showed up at MIT or some other invitational and we weren’t able to find it on our cheat sheet. Oh well.

New question: which boundary produces earthquakes of the greatest magnitude and why?
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

I believe the correct answer to your question would be transform boundaries because of their tendency to have slip-strike actions which cause one plate to accelerate (relatively fast) til it collides yet again with the opposite plate. (whereas in convergence, resistance is always felt)

If I got it right, I guess the next question should be : what is the most dangerous type of landslide?
allopathie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by allopathie »

JoeyC wrote:I believe the correct answer to your question would be transform boundaries because of their tendency to have slip-strike actions which cause one plate to accelerate (relatively fast) til it collides yet again with the opposite plate. (whereas in convergence, resistance is always felt)
It’s actually convergent, generally at subduction zones: http://www.geo.cornell.edu/geology/facu ... -001-2.png

The reasoning is that there’s a much larger surface area for locking and frictional slip to occur.

I’ll let someone else answer your question.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Ah, that would make sense; they do have more area for friction than transform boundaries.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JoeyC wrote:I believe the correct answer to your question would be transform boundaries because of their tendency to have slip-strike actions which cause one plate to accelerate (relatively fast) til it collides yet again with the opposite plate. (whereas in convergence, resistance is always felt)

If I got it right, I guess the next question should be : what is the most dangerous type of landslide?
Rock fall?
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Not quite, but nice try :) . This type of question is an obscene, yet important one, as it could be placed on a test as a tiebreaker, or worth extra points.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

JoeyC wrote:Not quite, but nice try :) . This type of question is an obscene, yet important one, as it could be placed on a test as a tiebreaker, or worth extra points.
Rock topple?
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

JoeyC wrote:Not quite, but nice try :) . This type of question is an obscene, yet important one, as it could be placed on a test as a tiebreaker, or worth extra points.
Rock topple?
Correct!
A rock topple, or more (more simply) a topple, is the most deadly form of landslide, due to the fact that it is literally part of the rock face peeling off the rock body and toppling over (think onion layers, except these layers are made of huge rock, and the ant quivering right where it's going to land is you).
I'll give someone else a chance to ask a question
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

JoeyC wrote:
Rock topple?
Correct!
A rock topple, or more (more simply) a topple, is the most deadly form of landslide, due to the fact that it is literally part of the rock face peeling off the rock body and toppling over (think onion layers, except these layers are made of huge rock, and the ant quivering right where it's going to land is you).
I'll give someone else a chance to ask a question
To clarify, does that mean it's my turn to ask a question or no?

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”