MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michigan 2018

Post by MIScioly1 »

I don't know much about Region 3 either :(

I would assume that it is somewhat less competitive than Regions 12 and 11, though, based on state tournament results.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
SHASO2018
Division: C

Post by SHASO2018 »

MIScioly1 wrote:I don't know much about Region 3 either :(

I would assume that it is somewhat less competitive than Regions 12 and 11, though, based on state tournament results.
I would agree, based on the fact that there's like 8 counties and only 1 B team and 2 C teams for states.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
meierfra
Coach
Coach

Post by meierfra »

SHASO2018 wrote: I don't know where Ithaca went, but that's another one to look out for (They're in Gratiot, so probably somewhere south, maybe Lansing area). We got a new coach this year, so things are pretty different and we don't get the same info that we have gotten before.
Region 11 (the Lansing area) is getting Ionia, Portland, Greenville and Montebella. I don't know where Ithaca is going, maybe Region 4?
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

meierfra wrote:
SHASO2018 wrote: I don't know where Ithaca went, but that's another one to look out for (They're in Gratiot, so probably somewhere south, maybe Lansing area). We got a new coach this year, so things are pretty different and we don't get the same info that we have gotten before.
Region 11 (the Lansing area) is getting Ionia, Portland, Greenville and Montebella. I don't know where Ithaca is going, maybe Region 4?
There doesn't seem to be any updated info on Region 4. All I know is that Bay City Western won, based on their facebook page.
SHASO2018

Post by SHASO2018 »

MIScioly1 wrote:
meierfra wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any updated info on Region 4. All I know is that Bay City Western won, based on their facebook page.
Division B
1st Place – St. Lorenz Lutheran Middle School*
2nd Place – Millington Middle School*
3rd Place – Handy Middle School
4th Place – Jefferson Middle School
5th Place – Au Gres-Sims Middle School

Division C
1st Place – Bay City Western High School*
2nd Place – H.H. Dow High School*
3rd Place – Au Gres–Sims High School
4th Place – Laker High School*
5th Place – Ithaca High School*
6th Place – Nouvel Catholic Central High School*

*Teams to advance to the State tournament

This is for Region 4

1. Looks like Ithaca went to the East, that's the only one that I recognize from Region 15
2. Has Region 4 always had this many advance? I didn't even know Nouvel had a team.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

SHASO2018 wrote:
Division B

Division C

This is for Region 4

1. Looks like Ithaca went to the East, that's the only one that I recognize from Region 15
2. Has Region 4 always had this many advance? I didn't even know Nouvel had a team.
In the past, it has only been around 3 division C teams. Interesting. And it looks like only 15 teams competed. I suppose one potential explanation is that there are fewer division C teams in the state this year than in the past, but I don't know.

Not sure what this means for other regions. At that ratio, it would mean Region 12 would send 9 teams, which is much more than in the past.
SHASO2018

Post by SHASO2018 »

SHASO2018 wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:
meierfra wrote:
Division B

Division C

This is for Region 4

Just letting you all know, that is NOT an error, according to Delta College's website, Au Gres didn't advance (I noticed this earlier so I had to check). It might just be an error, though.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

meierfra
Coach
Coach

Post by meierfra »

MIScioly1 wrote: In the past, it has only been around 3 division C teams. Interesting. And it looks like only 15 teams competed. I suppose one potential explanation is that there are fewer division C teams in the state this year than in the past, but I don't know.

Not sure what this means for other regions. At that ratio, it would mean Region 12 would send 9 teams, which is much more than in the past.
It may have to do with how they're dividing up Region 15's slots for State. In the past, Region 11 had 3 teams advance. But then last year we got 4 bids when States went to 60 teams. And now we're taking some of Region 15's teams and we'll have 5 teams advance this year.

Then again, it may just be that we're bigger now with the extra teams from Region 15.
SHASO2018

Post by SHASO2018 »

meierfra wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote: In the past, it has only been around 3 division C teams. Interesting. And it looks like only 15 teams competed. I suppose one potential explanation is that there are fewer division C teams in the state this year than in the past, but I don't know.

It may have to do with how they're dividing up Region 15's slots for State. In the past, Region 11 had 3 teams advance. But then last year we got 4 bids when States went to 60 teams. And now we're taking some of Region 15's teams and we'll have 5 teams advance this year.

Then again, it may just be that we're bigger now with the extra teams from Region 15.
Hopefully that works for my new region, because going from 5 teams for C to 2 worries me.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

Unless something has changed, the number of teams that a region sends to states is purely a function of how many teams are registered to compete in that region. So, the more teams that are gained from Region 15, the more teams that new region will send to states.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”