Ecology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 4th, 2018, 8:20 am

kate! wrote:Sorry, forgot it was my turn to ask a question.

Questions
1. What are 3 major hot and dry deserts?
2. Explain the 2 parts of acid deposition.
3. Name 1 difference between primary and secondary succession.


1. Sahara Mojave Great Victorian
2. Wet and dry wet is when acidic water runs over the ground and affect plant life. Dry is when dry particles are blown everywhere
3. Primary succession is on barren earth and secondary is when the soil still remains.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 4th, 2018, 8:21 am

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:Sorry, forgot it was my turn to ask a question.

Questions
1. What are 3 major hot and dry deserts?
2. Explain the 2 parts of acid deposition.
3. Name 1 difference between primary and secondary succession.


1. Sahara Mojave Great Victorian
2. Wet and dry wet is when acidic water runs over the ground and affect plant life. Dry is when dry particles are blown everywhere
3. Primary succession is on barren earth and secondary is when the soil still remains.


Correct, your turn
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 4th, 2018, 8:27 am

Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 5th, 2018, 1:19 pm

MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 5th, 2018, 2:56 pm

kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...


think about it. If the habitat fragments then there is more edge so the possibility of an edgedwelling species is higher.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

Fridaychimp
Member
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: December 5th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby Fridaychimp » March 5th, 2018, 4:07 pm

kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:Are isolated habitat fragments more likely to have edge dwelling species?

Yes, according to http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0001017 this study. Not exactly sure why, though...

I feel like it's because smaller habitats have larger perimeter to area ratios, so they naturally have more edges.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 9th, 2018, 8:31 pm

questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 12th, 2018, 11:34 am

kate! wrote:
questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?

answers
1. different calculation methods
2. Grasslands, overgrazing, agricultural practices, climate change, habitat loss
3. water pollution?
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 12th, 2018, 11:34 am

MattChina wrote:
kate! wrote:
questions
1. What is the difference between the Simpson's Index and Shannon-Wiener Index?
2. In which biomes does desertification occur in and why?
3. Name the most common form of pollution.
Why is this the most common?

answers
1. different calculation methods
2. Grasslands, overgrazing, agricultural practices, climate change, habitat loss
3. water pollution?


you are right, your turn
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 12th, 2018, 11:38 am

Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 13th, 2018, 10:48 am

MattChina wrote:
Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.


Answers!
1. Clumped dispersion.
2. Excess fertilizer, herbicides/insecticides, toxic chemicals from urban runoff.
3. They are the pioneer species in primary succession.
4. Soybean plants harbor Rhizobium, a bacterium that converts atmospheric nitrogen into something that plants use for creating proteins.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby MattChina » March 13th, 2018, 10:53 am

kate! wrote:
MattChina wrote:
Questions!
1. What is the most common type of dispersion.
2. Name three examples of non-point source pollution.
3. What roles do lichen and moss play in succession?
4.Name an example of endosymbiosis with organisms in the grasslands.


Answers!
1. Clumped dispersion.
2. Excess fertilizer, herbicides/insecticides, toxic chemicals from urban runoff.
3. They are the pioneer species in primary succession.
4. Soybean plants harbor Rhizobium, a bacterium that converts atmospheric nitrogen into something that plants use for creating proteins.

correct. ur turn
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 21st, 2018, 12:11 pm

QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

Fridaychimp
Member
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: December 5th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby Fridaychimp » March 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm

kate! wrote:
QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.

AnSwErS
1. Allopatric speciation involves geographic separation between different groups, whereas sympatric involves the creation of a new species in the same geographic area. Of the two, allopatric is much more common.
2. There are fewer resources, and thus the biome can support fewer organisms. Further, the dry and hot climate makes it difficult for most organisms to live there.
3. The flat land and fertile soil are great for agriculture, so most of them have been converted to agricultural land by humans.
4. Pos: Suppreses methane production from wetlands (leading to lower greenhouse gases overall), nitrogen in acid rain allows trees to store more carbon and increase productivity
Neg: Increased acidity of bodies of water, leaches aluminum from soil
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: Ecology B/C

Postby kate! » March 22nd, 2018, 4:20 pm

Fridaychimp wrote:
kate! wrote:
QuEsTiOnS
1. What is the difference between allopatric and sympatric speciation?
2. Why is there less biodiversity in deserts?
3. Why do so few natural prairies remain?
4. Name 4 effects (2 negative/2 positive) of acid rain.

AnSwErS
1. Allopatric speciation involves geographic separation between different groups, whereas sympatric involves the creation of a new species in the same geographic area. Of the two, allopatric is much more common.
2. There are fewer resources, and thus the biome can support fewer organisms. Further, the dry and hot climate makes it difficult for most organisms to live there.
3. The flat land and fertile soil are great for agriculture, so most of them have been converted to agricultural land by humans.
4. Pos: Suppreses methane production from wetlands (leading to lower greenhouse gases overall), nitrogen in acid rain allows trees to store more carbon and increase productivity
Neg: Increased acidity of bodies of water, leaches aluminum from soil


Great answers, your turn.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!


Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests