MissAmargasaurus
Division: Grad
State: ID
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Are we allowed to use the materials we bring in as a part of the experiment? Like using the meterstick we bring in to make a ramp or something?
You can, but you need to use 2 of the materials provided as far as I remember.
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

MissAmargasaurus wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Are we allowed to use the materials we bring in as a part of the experiment? Like using the meterstick we bring in to make a ramp or something?
It depends; you're allowed to bring certain materials in. A good kit to have ready should include the following: A ruler or two, some extra pencils, goggles, clipboards, a timer and a calculator. Your proctor might only allow some materials in, and the rest you should place elsewhere. A ramp is something I wouldn't bring to a competition.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
MissAmargasaurus wrote:
It depends; you're allowed to bring certain materials in. A good kit to have ready should include the following: A ruler or two, some extra pencils, goggles, clipboards, a timer and a calculator. Your proctor might only allow some materials in, and the rest you should place elsewhere. A ramp is something I wouldn't bring to a competition.
Hey, I didn't mean bringing a ramp, I meant using what we brought in as a supplement to our experience. Like rolling things down our meterstick or dropping our pens to test gravity.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
MissAmargasaurus wrote:
Hey, I didn't mean bringing a ramp, I meant using what we brought in as a supplement to our experience. Like rolling things down our meterstick or dropping our pens to test gravity.
Oh I see what you mean. That situation you could likely get away with it. Sorry for the misconception!
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Oh I see what you mean. That situation you could likely get away with it. Sorry for the misconception!
Just keep in mind, you'll be tiered if you don't do an experiment related to the topic (4.f.) I would hope that most supervisors will provide adequate materials to test the topic, and using a meterstick as a ramp, or the stopwatch lanyard as a pendulum, may be going too far "outside the box" to adequately address the topic. It's not prohibited, but I wouldn't encourage that as Plan A. It does make for a good back-up plan though.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Ethancheese123
State: MN

Post by Ethancheese123 »

So, I do variables and every time I do the dependent variable I always get a point off for "dependent variable has to be operationally defined"

State is tomorrow, could anyone explain to me what operationally defined means?
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

Ethancheese123 wrote:So, I do variables and every time I do the dependent variable I always get a point off for "dependent variable has to be operationally defined"

To get "operationally defined" points, you need to explain not just what the variable is, but HOW you're going to set it up (IV) or measure it (DV). For example, if the IV is the height of a ramp, you may operationally define it by explaining how you will stack one, two, or three textbooks to create ramps of different heights. If the DV is the time it takes a ball to roll, you may operationally define it by explaining exactly when the timer starts and stops the timer.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Ethancheese123
State: MN

Post by Ethancheese123 »

SPP SciO wrote:
Ethancheese123 wrote:So, I do variables and every time I do the dependent variable I always get a point off for "dependent variable has to be operationally defined"

To get "operationally defined" points, you need to explain not just what the variable is, but HOW you're going to set it up (IV) or measure it (DV). For example, if the IV is the height of a ramp, you may operationally define it by explaining how you will stack one, two, or three textbooks to create ramps of different heights. If the DV is the time it takes a ball to roll, you may operationally define it by explaining exactly when the timer starts and stops the timer.
Thanks!
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Do you guys use up all of your time on this event or do you have time to spare.I ask cuz we are always cutting it close while other teams leave early. :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
kate!

Post by kate! »

TheChiScientist wrote:Do you guys use up all of your time on this event or do you have time to spare.I ask cuz we are always cutting it close while other teams leave early. :?:
Personally, we are always working until the last possible moments, but it really depends on the working style of the team and how fast they can do an experiment. It doesn't really matter how much time you take as long as you have a good report and you've finished everything.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!

Return to “2018 Lab Events”