Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Locked
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1520
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm

IcsTam wrote:1. What is the difference between type one and type two error. Which one is considered more serious?
2. Determine which of the criteria the following situation satisfies for Hill's Criteria of Causation:
Exposure to contaminated unpasteurized milk precedes Brucellosis.
1. Type I = False Positive, Type II = False Negative; Type I
2. Temporality (time-order)

IcsTam
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 5:09 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by IcsTam » March 13th, 2018, 6:50 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
IcsTam wrote:1. What is the difference between type one and type two error. Which one is considered more serious?
2. Determine which of the criteria the following situation satisfies for Hill's Criteria of Causation:
Exposure to contaminated unpasteurized milk precedes Brucellosis.
1. Type I = False Positive, Type II = False Negative; Type I
2. Temporality (time-order)
For the second part of number one,type two is more serious, because there is a failure to administer necessary treatment (versus administering unnecessary treatment.) Otherwise, right. Your turn!
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
SOUP Sounds Director ‘19, ‘20
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1520
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 14th, 2018, 3:13 pm

What exactly is an odds ratio?

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 14th, 2018, 3:18 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:What exactly is an odds ratio?
An odds ratio is a measure of association between an exposure and an outcome that is used in case-control studies, and the formula is ad/bc.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1520
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 14th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:What exactly is an odds ratio?
An odds ratio is a measure of association between an exposure and an outcome that is used in case-control studies, and the formula is ad/bc.
Good, but give a little more detail of what an odds ratio actually is (what is it a ratio of?)

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:What exactly is an odds ratio?
An odds ratio is a measure of association between an exposure and an outcome that is used in case-control studies, and the formula is ad/bc.
Good, but give a little more detail of what an odds ratio actually is (what is it a ratio of?)
It is the odds of getting the disease following a particular exposure compared to the odds of getting the disease without the exposure.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1520
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 14th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote: An odds ratio is a measure of association between an exposure and an outcome that is used in case-control studies, and the formula is ad/bc.
Good, but give a little more detail of what an odds ratio actually is (what is it a ratio of?)
It is the odds of getting the disease following a particular exposure compared to the odds of getting the disease without the exposure.
Yep, your turn!

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 14th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Name each step of the food production chain and provide a specific example of how food can get contaminated in each step.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » March 15th, 2018, 3:06 am

Knyte_Xjn wrote:Name each step of the food production chain and provide a specific example of how food can get contaminated in each step.
Production: Growing plants/raising animals used for food. Ex. Animal’s reproductive organs are infected, contaminated water used on crops, fish eat toxins from food
   Processing: Changing plants/animals into edible food. Ex. Contaminated water or ice is used, germs from animals can get into final product, contaminated surfaces used
   Distribution: Getting food from place to place. Ex. Not refrigerated well, unsanitary surfaces used
   Preparation: Getting food ready to eat, Ex. Food worker is sick and does not wash hands, knife used to cut chicken is used to cut veggies w/o washing, meat juice gets on items eaten raw
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Knyte_Xjn
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn » March 15th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Froggie wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:Name each step of the food production chain and provide a specific example of how food can get contaminated in each step.
Production: Growing plants/raising animals used for food. Ex. Animal’s reproductive organs are infected, contaminated water used on crops, fish eat toxins from food
   Processing: Changing plants/animals into edible food. Ex. Contaminated water or ice is used, germs from animals can get into final product, contaminated surfaces used
   Distribution: Getting food from place to place. Ex. Not refrigerated well, unsanitary surfaces used
   Preparation: Getting food ready to eat, Ex. Food worker is sick and does not wash hands, knife used to cut chicken is used to cut veggies w/o washing, meat juice gets on items eaten raw
looks good, your turn!
R. I. P. 01/20/2019

Locked

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest