New Jersey 2018

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: New Jersey 2018

Post by knottingpurple »

Matholy wrote:Anyone know when full results are going to come out?
http://www.njscienceolympiad.org/tourna ... esults.pdf
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

If trial events didn’t count, South would have won :shock:
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

But they do...

oof
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:If trial events didn’t count, South would have won :shock:
Why do trial events count? Aren't they supposed to just be test events? This is a bit unfair. I think Nationals does it right by not counting trials because they aren't real events.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

Oof

Feels bad :o
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

dxu46 wrote:
Why do trial events count? Aren't they supposed to just be test events? This is a bit unfair. I think Nationals does it right by not counting trials because they aren't real events.
it definetly isnt right and makes no sense, but i wouldn't call it unfair. i mean, all teams knew it counted. it was up to them to invest time in it or not...
Matholy
Has thanked: 0

Post by Matholy »

If trial events didn't count, it would have been 78 v 78.
But, south has 9 firsts and north has 7 firsts, so south woulda won.
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

If heli hadn't been thrown out yet year, Monty would've won. Today, if trial events didn't count, but also if the appeals people submitted were accepted, if the competition on Tuesday wasn't cancelled because of snow, if the tests which were kinda easy but still within the rules were a bit harder, if every team were given the same conflicts... there's any number of things which could have changed the results, there's any number of ways we could cherry pick the data and argue a certain team is, underneath, the best. I felt no joy from this tournament, unlike 2016 States where we also lost but participating felt worthwhile, but how I feel about the tournament does not decide if it counts or not. Since we can't send all of NJ to Nats, we don't actually know which team would be the best in this year's Nats to see if it even agrees with today's results, but we just have to deal with NJSO's method of running tournaments. My partners and I in some of my events, we chose answers we didn't consider technically correct because we know how NJ States works, we thought they were looking for the simplistic answer or something, not the real one. We knew going in that there would be trial events counted and poorly run events and who knows what other problems, and the team which wins despite those problems goes to Nats. Oh well.

If I sound slightly salty, I'm sorry, I'm still trying to sound a lot calmer than I feel? But we'll live.

Congrats to North for winning. Congrats to South for being in the top 2 since 2006 consecutively. Congrats to Monty for being really close behind South once again. Congrats to JPS for really improving. Congrats to Community for it's umpteenth trip to Nats and to Monty Middle for regaining 2nd. Idk enough about the other teams to know what to congratulate them for besides working hard but yeah.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
it definetly isnt right and makes no sense, but i wouldn't call it unfair. i mean, all teams knew it counted. it was up to them to invest time in it or not...
Solar vehicle definitely shouldn't have counted... especially after all of those last-minute changes. (ofc it wouldn't be enough to make a difference)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

knottingpurple wrote:
If heli hadn't been thrown out yet year, Monty would've won. Today, if trial events didn't count, but also if the appeals people submitted were accepted, if the competition on Tuesday wasn't cancelled because of snow, if the tests which were kinda easy but still within the rules were a bit harder, if every team were given the same conflicts... there's any number of things which could have changed the results, there's any number of ways we could cherry pick the data and argue a certain team is, underneath, the best. I felt no joy from this tournament, unlike 2016 States where we also lost but participating felt worthwhile, but how I feel about the tournament does not decide if it counts or not. Since we can't send all of NJ to Nats, we don't actually know which team would be the best in this year's Nats to see if it even agrees with today's results, but we just have to deal with NJSO's method of running tournaments. My partners and I in some of my events, we chose answers we didn't consider technically correct because we know how NJ States works, we thought they were looking for the simplistic answer or something, not the real one. We knew going in that there would be trial events counted and poorly run events and who knows what other problems, and the team which wins despite those problems goes to Nats. Oh well.

If I sound slightly salty, I'm sorry, I'm still trying to sound a lot calmer than I feel? But we'll live.

Congrats to North for winning. Congrats to South for being in the top 2 since 2006 consecutively. Congrats to Monty for being really close behind South once again. Congrats to JPS for really improving. Congrats to Community for it's umpteenth trip to Nats and to Monty Middle for regaining 2nd. Idk enough about the other teams to know what to congratulate them for besides working hard but yeah.
^Love this <3 . SciOly will never be perfect and the teams that understand this and can adapt will do the best. While NJ certainly seems to be a lot more different than most states in terms of how things are run, teams knew going in and therefore it's hardly fair to say the results are unfair in that sense. A few events do seem a little off though (chem lab)...
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”