Roller Coaster B

nickb12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by nickb12 »

Do you guys know if we are able to create flips in the track for momentum? I skimmed over the website and rulebook and there was nothing on it.
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

Last edited by JionPark on February 19th, 2018, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
JionPark
Division: C

Post by JionPark »

nickb12 wrote:Do you guys know if we are able to create flips in the track for momentum? I skimmed over the website and rulebook and there was nothing on it.
I think you're allowed to create flips. I know for sure that enclosed tubes aren't permitted, but flips aren't tubes.
I think you'll be okay. :)
nickb12

Post by nickb12 »

Thanks!
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

builder83 wrote:
JionPark wrote:I watched a roller coaster video, and it was a kit to the Science Olympiad. Two half pipes were used to create more time for the marble, but I wanted to know if they're allowed.
As long as you can pull the marble off the half pipe vertically I think it would work. Also seems very difficult to fine tune the time.
The rules say nothing about being able to pull the vehicle off the track perpendicular to the line of travel. The rules only say the track should not be "enclosed", in other words, no closed tubes. A track that is not fully enclosed should be valid according to this years' rules. However, who knows if that will get changed before Sates/Nationals or not?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Crtomir wrote:
builder83 wrote:
JionPark wrote:I watched a roller coaster video, and it was a kit to the Science Olympiad. Two half pipes were used to create more time for the marble, but I wanted to know if they're allowed.
As long as you can pull the marble off the half pipe vertically I think it would work. Also seems very difficult to fine tune the time.
The rules say nothing about being able to pull the vehicle off the track perpendicular to the line of travel. The rules only say the track should not be "enclosed", in other words, no closed tubes. A track that is not fully enclosed should be valid according to this years' rules. However, who knows if that will get changed before Sates/Nationals or not?
I would hesitate to use a tube with a fine cut in it either (saying its 97% enclosed but not 100%)... I believe the 'spirit of the rule' would mean any part of your track in which a marble cannot fall out or be pulled off the track would be considered enclosed. Just my take. Although I see how you could argue the the term enclosed.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Be careful with taking arguable approaches. Always consider how much they improve your score against the risk of being tiered for a construction violation. At states and nationals that's a pretty severe penalty.
Also consider a backup plan. Have an alternate, non controversial way to do well if needed.
What I have seen/heard discussed is you should be able to remove the marble in some direction at any point on the track.
Not official, but something to think about...

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Crtomir

Post by Crtomir »

jander14indoor wrote:Be careful with taking arguable approaches. Always consider how much they improve your score against the risk of being tiered for a construction violation. At states and nationals that's a pretty severe penalty.
Also consider a backup plan. Have an alternate, non controversial way to do well if needed.
What I have seen/heard discussed is you should be able to remove the marble in some direction at any point on the track.
Not official, but something to think about...

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

But, that raises a different question: How far off the track do you have to remove the vehicle? If you remove it perpendicular to the line of travel along the track, there might be a track directly above it that prevents you from removing the vehicle completely out of the whole Roller Coaster device by lifting the vehicle in the same direction, but you can still lift it 1-2cm off the track. Certainly, having a track on top of another track is within the spirit of the rules - you are not trying to enclose the bottom track or prevent the ball from falling off the bottom track, you just can't lift the sphere that high without bumping into the track above. Besides, that kind of language was used in trial event rules from last year and was explicitly taken out for some reason. Why add it in now, when the word "enclosed" has a very clear and obvious meaning to anyone familiar with the English language? Adding a statement that the vehicle has to be removable from the track in a direction perpendicular to the line of travel along the track would seem to be not clarifying the rules, but changing them significantly.

I have asked a FAQ question about this issue because it needs to be cleared up before Regional, State, and National tournaments.
Crtomir

Post by Crtomir »

jander14indoor wrote:Also consider a backup plan. Have an alternate, non controversial way to do well if needed.
Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Agreed. Our kids are building a new Roller Coaster to avoid this issue. Better not to cause the Event Officials to think. ;)
SPP SciO
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtsOiVxIIE I'm not sure if this has been posted here before; I found it at some point but recently re-watched it more closely and it's fascinating.

Has anyone else seen tracks where the marble rolls uphill, after completing a jump? All of the iterations my students have built have been strictly downhill (with the exception of small upward curve to change the launch angle) - but I suspect that with some impressive engineering, you could take fuller advantage of the potential energy allowed by the height limit.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “Roller Coaster B”