Between 1st and 2nd runs

builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Between 1st and 2nd runs

Post by builder83 »

At regionals, we had to talk to the judge a lot to let us measure how far away (distance/off-center) we were from the target. This allows us to make accurate adjustments. Rules say you can bring a measuring device. The judges were not telling any teams how far away they were either after the first run. So I saw teams guessing how to adjust their cars. Anybody have any issues with this? Want to clarify before we go to state.
cheese
Division: C

Re: Between 1st and 2nd runs

Post by cheese »

I think it depends on the ES like most things like this. Some will announce it to everyone, some won't even show anyone else. I would be prepared to be able to adjust after the second run without knowing the exact distance.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

All the comps I have been to allowed us to measure the distance ourselves after they called us over following the first run. As long as they dont move the position of your vehicle following the run, feel free to take measurements regardless as they will still be accurate. It might be wise to tell your ES that you plan on doing this ahead of time, so that they won't accidentally move it when measuring distance.
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

That's weird - I would point to rule 4.e. - It doesn't explicitly say that students are allowed to make measurements, but the wording in 4.e. suggests that it would be legitimate.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I believe its treated in the same way for other vehicle events, such as electric vehicle. Regardless, I would ask to make sure.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

I guess I would wonder why else are measuring devices like a ruler allowed if one cannot use them. This was my argument.
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

builder83 wrote:I guess I would wonder why else are measuring devices like a ruler allowed if one cannot use them. This was my argument.
Well to really get specific - 4.c.ii explicitly grants permission to verify the track dimensions, prior to a run. I think a reasonable ES would allow you to make your own measurements between runs (as part of your allotted time) but it's interesting that the pre-run measurements are noted in the rules while mid-run measurements are not.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SPP SciO wrote:
builder83 wrote:I guess I would wonder why else are measuring devices like a ruler allowed if one cannot use them. This was my argument.
Well to really get specific - 4.c.ii explicitly grants permission to verify the track dimensions, prior to a run. I think a reasonable ES would allow you to make your own measurements between runs (as part of your allotted time) but it's interesting that the pre-run measurements are noted in the rules while mid-run measurements are not.
The last sentence of 4.e could be construed to allow this, although it's rather circumspect.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

At all of the competitions I've been to, the ES has given us their official measurement of the distance away from the target, so it hasn't been an issue. In my experience, as long as you ask, the ES will generally give you the distance.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
vb

Post by vb »

Unome wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
The last sentence of 4.e could be construed to allow this, although it's rather circumspect.
Thank you.. These clarification helps.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”