Herpetology B/C

CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Entomology wrote:Has anyone figured out reliable ID for snakes? Aside from the genera with obvious coloration (Ex Diadophis, Opheodrys, Thamnophis) I have some trouble differentiating between the remainder of the snakes consistently because coloration is so variable.

I second this; it is very difficult to tell them apart based on looks (even more difficult on a powerpoint slideshow!)
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
fabishkf
Division: Grad
State: WI
Been thanked: 0

Post by fabishkf »

I usually use keeled/unkeeled scales, head shape, body shape, other distinctive body structures, etc. For example the genus Elaphe (rat snakes) have slightly keeled scales, a square shaped head and a slender but relatively sturdy looking body that looks like a loaf of bread in cross section (extremely flat belly). Most genera have many colors so that's not really reliable, go off of other stuff (except for stuff like Opheodrys...).
madison west '21 hamilton '17
top 5 favorite events: rocks and minerals, fossils, geomapping, microbe mission, herpetology
Kyanite
State: WA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

What do yall go off of when answering in numbers? For instance most specimens have a range for the number of eggs they lay or how big they get, how do you all answer these questions? If there are any proctors on here with an inside opinion that would be great.
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Kyanite wrote:What do yall go off of when answering in numbers? For instance most specimens have a range for the number of eggs they lay or how big they get, how do you all answer these questions? If there are any proctors on here with an inside opinion that would be great.

Usually in the answer keys to the tests I've taken, there's a range of correct answers (ex: clutch size 6-30).
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Kyanite

Post by Kyanite »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Kyanite wrote:What do yall go off of when answering in numbers? For instance most specimens have a range for the number of eggs they lay or how big they get, how do you all answer these questions? If there are any proctors on here with an inside opinion that would be great.

Usually in the answer keys to the tests I've taken, there's a range of correct answers (ex: clutch size 6-30).
Good to know thanks for the feedback
Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Fellas, anyone have a rough idea what the test will be like at nationals? Also if anyone has practice tests that'd be dandy.
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
Almandine

Post by Almandine »

soscioly wrote:thanks!
another question - are there 6 or 7 species in genus cheloniidae? Some sources say that the leatherback is a part of cheloniidae but others don't... I'm not quite sure what to put when I encounter that question on tests.
Wait, but they won't be testing us on sea turtle genera, only whats on the national list, which is family cheloniidae.
Kyanite

Post by Kyanite »

Almandine wrote:
soscioly wrote:thanks!
another question - are there 6 or 7 species in genus cheloniidae? Some sources say that the leatherback is a part of cheloniidae but others don't... I'm not quite sure what to put when I encounter that question on tests.
Wait, but they won't be testing us on sea turtle genera, only whats on the national list, which is family cheloniidae.
Correct, the genera is just for photo reference in notes in case they put a photo of a leatherback and ask what family it is (this happened to me on my regionals test) or if they ask how many genera are in the family
Kyanite

Post by Kyanite »

Almandine wrote:Fellas, anyone have a rough idea what the test will be like at nationals? Also if anyone has practice tests that'd be dandy.
The test will be fast paced and intense, I recommend taking the Princeton or MIT tests to get a rough estimate of the difficulty.
Almandine

Post by Almandine »

Kyanite wrote:
Almandine wrote:Fellas, anyone have a rough idea what the test will be like at regionals? Also if anyone has practice tests that'd be dandy.
The test will be fast paced and intense, I recommend taking the Princeton or MIT tests to get a rough estimate of the difficulty.
They aren't in the test exchange, is there another way of obtaining them?

Return to “2018 Study Events”