dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by dxu46 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Anyone here remembers if last year they had a requirement for long sleeves? I remember in ISO the ES said it was by national rules requirement last year. :?:
According to last year's rules, long sleeves aren't required, as "Chemicals that require other safety clothing will not be used."
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Huh. Welp last year was weird then but thanks! :?
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Mp3nguin__
State: UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

Hey I was wondering what the best materials to look through were. I was assigned this event about an hour ago and my state competition is tomorrow (two people quit this event on my team and I stepped in). I read through the rubric and the rule sheet and I feel somewhat confident (especially since I have at least one other person helping me, and my coach is going to assign a third person). I know I won't place, but what are some things I can do to prepare within the next 24 hours?
Thanks so much!

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:Hey I was wondering what the best materials to look through were. I was assigned this event about an hour ago and my state competition is tomorrow (two people quit this event on my team and I stepped in). I read through the rubric and the rule sheet and I feel somewhat confident (especially since I have at least one other person helping me, and my coach is going to assign a third person). I know I won't place, but what are some things I can do to prepare within the next 24 hours?
Thanks so much!
Reading through the rubric is a good step for right now, see if you can meet with your partners and do at least one sample experiment. Even if you only practice once, that's still good. Split up the tasks on the rubric so you have equal amounts of work and try to memorize what you have to do. Honestly, Experimental Design is an event about creating experiments... you have automatic experience if you've ever done an experiment.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Mp3nguin__

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

kate! wrote:
Mp3nguin__ wrote:Hey I was wondering what the best materials to look through were. I was assigned this event about an hour ago and my state competition is tomorrow (two people quit this event on my team and I stepped in). I read through the rubric and the rule sheet and I feel somewhat confident (especially since I have at least one other person helping me, and my coach is going to assign a third person). I know I won't place, but what are some things I can do to prepare within the next 24 hours?
Thanks so much!
Reading through the rubric is a good step for right now, see if you can meet with your partners and do at least one sample experiment. Even if you only practice once, that's still good. Split up the tasks on the rubric so you have equal amounts of work and try to memorize what you have to do. Honestly, Experimental Design is an event about creating experiments... you have automatic experience if you've ever done an experiment.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'll be sure to discuss with the other members in my group about what parts of the rubric we will each be doing. It's a three hundred mile drive to where my state competition is so there will be a lot of time to talk with the other members of my group. :)

2019 region/state
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Yes you are always better off breaking it up but note you must make this time efficient with having 2 people doing the lab and then one person handling the longest part and perfect it :geek:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Mp3nguin__

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

I am not sure if anyone cares, but I went to my state competition yesterday (and as I said, got Experimental Design ONE DAY BEFORE) and got FIFTH in Experimental Design!! I guess reading the rubric paid off haha (my state only gives out first, second and third place medals but its fine, I am just impressed I did so well.)

2019 region/state
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

I've updated the Experimental Design Practice page with 7 more experiments, totaling 20.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Incidentally, does anyone know the topic and materials from nats?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”