Brake system

GameMaster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Brake system

Post by GameMaster »

Can we use electromagnetism for breaking system using wire and metal pieces, please let me know? Have posted my question in soinc.org and still waiting for their response.
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

GameMaster wrote:Can we use electromagnetism for breaking system using wire and metal pieces, please let me know? Have posted my question in soinc.org and still waiting for their response.
I mean, simply cutting the power from the motor is an electromagnetic brake lol
So everyone's car uses electromagnetic braking (specifically, Eddy current brakes)

But if your gonna try something more legit, without knowing your specifics, I am 99.99999999% sure whatever you plan on doing will be fine rules wise...
M017
Division: B
State: NE
Has thanked: 0

Post by M017 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Anyone have advice on how to reduce skidding and get within a millimeter of the target distance consistently using a wingnut microswitch braking method (Other than just trial and error)? Also anyone have any ideas as to what specific microswitch would benefit the vehicle (ex: hinge roller or without)?

Thanks
If your car is going fast enough make sure that you have the motor cut out (but not brake) about 50-100cm before the target, so when it does brake it's slowed down. Put small protractors on the wheels and work out a formula for figuring out how many full turns and degrees it will have to go and turn it accordingly
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

builder83 wrote:My vehicles motor does not require the use of all 8 batteries. I actually exploded one by overloading a 6v motor...

So now I am curious if there are different brake systems that are more accurate than a wingnut hitting a switch since I have batteries available. I could not find any online resources showing any. I was thinking of something like a photogate system that shuts off circuit when wingnut passes by and cuts through light path... but not sure if this would work.

Anybody experiment with other brake systems?
The high school in our town did a winch system thing last year for Electric Vehicle. The drive motor had a small wheel thing that was attached to string, and the axle also had a winch wheel thing. When the motor started running, the thread that started on the axle's winch wheel thing would start wrapping around the motor's winch wheel thing. After the string ran out on the axle's winch wheel, the motor's winch wheel would have all of the string, and the vehicle would stop do to a wingnut system in the back. The motor keeps spinning, but that does not matter since the motor stops driving the motor. This is not a complete solution to your question, as it still implements a wingnut braking system, but the wingnut does not have to hit a micro switch. Sorry that I said winch wheel thing so many times, because I do not know what to call it. Maybe this is the solution you are looking for.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
drcubbin
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

MadCow2357 wrote:
builder83 wrote:My vehicles motor does not require the use of all 8 batteries. I actually exploded one by overloading a 6v motor...

So now I am curious if there are different brake systems that are more accurate than a wingnut hitting a switch since I have batteries available. I could not find any online resources showing any. I was thinking of something like a photogate system that shuts off circuit when wingnut passes by and cuts through light path... but not sure if this would work.

The high school in our town did a winch system thing last year for Electric Vehicle. The drive motor had a small wheel thing that was attached to string, and the axle also had a winch wheel thing. When the motor started running, the thread that started on the axle's winch wheel thing would start wrapping around the motor's winch wheel thing. After the string ran out on the axle's winch wheel, the motor's winch wheel would have all of the string, and the vehicle would stop do to a wingnut system in the back. The motor keeps spinning, but that does not matter since the motor stops driving the motor. This is not a complete solution to your question, as it still implements a wingnut braking system, but the wingnut does not have to hit a micro switch. Sorry that I said winch wheel thing so many times, because I do not know what to call it. Maybe this is the solution you are looking for.
I have not seen anything that outperforms the wingnut. If designed properly, it is fairly accurate.
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
GameMaster wrote:Can we use electromagnetism for breaking system using wire and metal pieces, please let me know? Have posted my question in soinc.org and still waiting for their response.
I mean, simply cutting the power from the motor is an electromagnetic brake lol
So everyone's car uses electromagnetic braking (specifically, Eddy current brakes)

But if your gonna try something more legit, without knowing your specifics, I am 99.99999999% sure whatever you plan on doing will be fine rules wise...
But what about that pesky 0.00000001%?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

drcubbin wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

I have not seen anything that outperforms the wingnut. If designed properly, it is fairly accurate.
I personally am using the wingnut, the winch wheel system is just something the high school coach suggested to me.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

MadCow2357 wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: The high school in our town did a winch system thing last year for Electric Vehicle. The drive motor had a small wheel thing that was attached to string, and the axle also had a winch wheel thing. When the motor started running, the thread that started on the axle's winch wheel thing would start wrapping around the motor's winch wheel thing. After the string ran out on the axle's winch wheel, the motor's winch wheel would have all of the string, and the vehicle would stop do to a wingnut system in the back. The motor keeps spinning, but that does not matter since the motor stops driving the motor. This is not a complete solution to your question, as it still implements a wingnut braking system, but the wingnut does not have to hit a micro switch. Sorry that I said winch wheel thing so many times, because I do not know what to call it. Maybe this is the solution you are looking for.
I personally am using the wingnut, the winch wheel system is just something the high school coach suggested to me.
Good. We have used the winch wheel on scramble with mixed (mostly bad) results, but I am sure anything can be made to perform better :D
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

My wingnut is not activating the microswitch. It just hits it for a second, and then travels over the microswitch. Ideas?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
cheese

Post by cheese »

Make the lever of the micro switch longer, glue a piece of plastic or someting.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”