Dynamic Planet B/C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by knottingpurple »

Ethancheese123 wrote:Thanks, also, do we need to know different type of rocks?
The level of knowledge you need about rocks I think varies from test to test, there was definitely an invite t test I saw last year which provided an image of a rock and asked us to ID it for DP, but most of the time that stuff stays in R&M and the most we have to know is what general types of rocks occur within different parts of the crust - knowing the difference between basaltic and granitic, for instance, is often pretty useful, but it's not really the main focus of the event.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

knottingpurple wrote:
The level of knowledge you need about rocks I think varies from test to test, there was definitely an invite t test I saw last year which provided an image of a rock and asked us to ID it for DP, but most of the time that stuff stays in R&M and the most we have to know is what general types of rocks occur within different parts of the crust - knowing the difference between basaltic and granitic, for instance, is often pretty useful, but it's not really the main focus of the event.
Agreeing with knottingpurple here, most tests generally just ask you to know where you can find different types of rocks, I wouldn't expect most tests to ask a question about a specific rock. Of course, the topic this year is Tectonics, and I don't see how that applies that much to rocks.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Agreeing with knottingpurple here, most tests generally just ask you to know where you can find different types of rocks, I wouldn't expect most tests to ask a question about a specific rock. Of course, the topic this year is Tectonics, and I don't see how that applies that much to rocks.
Tectonics -> Magma -> Extrusive and intrusive rocks ?

In my eyes, questions about where certain igneous rocks form are fair game, but ID questions are really out there.
matematika
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by matematika »

Are there any topics that could possibly be tested that are not explicitly stated in the rules? I find that major plate tectonic movements are often tested, but not mentioned in the rules.
2017 - Herpetology, Dynamic Planet, Solar System
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

matematika wrote:Are there any topics that could possibly be tested that are not explicitly stated in the rules? I find that major plate tectonic movements are often tested, but not mentioned in the rules.
Things like volcanoes, intrusive/extrusive rock, stratigraphy, etc.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
matematika wrote:Are there any topics that could possibly be tested that are not explicitly stated in the rules? I find that major plate tectonic movements are often tested, but not mentioned in the rules.
Also, the National test last year had us tracking the rate of a lava flow.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Also, the National test last year had us tracking the rate of a lava flow.
The thing is that all of these topics are under the bigger umbrella topics listed, volcanoes are natural hazards, plate movements and impacts of plate movements or something is mentioned, you just have to read things that relate to the rules instead of just looking up the topics in the rules? It's not like they're unrelated?
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
matematika

Post by matematika »

For orogenies and supercontinents, I need some sort of big, general timeline with important events like (not accurate, obviously):

4 Ma - Pangaea
3.8 Ma - Taconic Orogeny (blah blah blah happens here)
3.7 Ma - Alleghanian Orogeny (blah blah blah happens here)
3 Ma - Pangaea rifts apart

Is there some online resource for this? How would I compile this huge timeline? Everything feels so messed up and not connected.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

matematika wrote:For orogenies and supercontinents, I need some sort of big, general timeline with important events like (not accurate, obviously):

4 Ma - Pangaea
3.8 Ma - Taconic Orogeny (blah blah blah happens here)
3.7 Ma - Alleghanian Orogeny (blah blah blah happens here)
3 Ma - Pangaea rifts apart

Is there some online resource for this? How would I compile this huge timeline? Everything feels so messed up and not connected.
What I've been doing is basically looking up all the different supercontinents (Pangaea, Ur, Laurasia, Rodinia, etc.) and compiling the information, but there might be a better way.
matematika

Post by matematika »

Yeah, I just printed out the eras/periods/epochs timeline, and just labeled it with the orogenies and supercontinents, with post-its for detailed notes.

Return to “2018 Study Events”