Competitive Times for Nationals

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby shrewdPanther46 » March 16th, 2018, 5:06 am

In order to be competitive at nationals, is there a requirement for atleast <2.5 second times? We are looking to significantly slow down our car to help our accuracy, but I am very curious as to what times would remain competitive at nationals. We wish to not drop to far down, but our car is skidding to the point where it is not possible to close in on even <4 cm accuracy consistently...

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Contact:

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby cheese » March 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

The accuracy will matter a large portion at nationals, but teams will be so close to the point to where the ultimate winner will come down to the fastest vehicle at a very, very accurate distance (1-10 mm)
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby shrewdPanther46 » March 17th, 2018, 5:15 pm

how would they even measure a distance like that if the dowel itself is a quarter inch dowel minimum? I'm pretty sure they would consider anything like that just 0 cm off... but hopeflly they have a system for that

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 8:21 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby SPP SciO » March 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:how would they even measure a distance like that if the dowel itself is a quarter inch dowel minimum? I'm pretty sure they would consider anything like that just 0 cm off... but hopeflly they have a system for that


I think 1mm accuracy is pretty reasonable for that measurement. The dowel needs to be within a cm of the floor, so it's simple to put a dot directly beneath the dowel, and measure to the center of that dot.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4036
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby Unome » March 22nd, 2018, 11:34 am

SPP SciO wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:how would they even measure a distance like that if the dowel itself is a quarter inch dowel minimum? I'm pretty sure they would consider anything like that just 0 cm off... but hopeflly they have a system for that


I think 1mm accuracy is pretty reasonable for that measurement. The dowel needs to be within a cm of the floor, so it's simple to put a dot directly beneath the dowel, and measure to the center of that dot.

The rules answer this question:

SO 2018 Div B Rules Manual wrote:its [the dowel's] front bottom edge will be the vehicle’s Measurement Point for distance measurements
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 8:21 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby SPP SciO » March 22nd, 2018, 11:52 am

Unome wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:how would they even measure a distance like that if the dowel itself is a quarter inch dowel minimum? I'm pretty sure they would consider anything like that just 0 cm off... but hopeflly they have a system for that


I think 1mm accuracy is pretty reasonable for that measurement. The dowel needs to be within a cm of the floor, so it's simple to put a dot directly beneath the dowel, and measure to the center of that dot.

The rules answer this question:

SO 2018 Div B Rules Manual wrote:its [the dowel's] front bottom edge will be the vehicle’s Measurement Point for distance measurements


Thanks for the correction! If you're within a dowel's width of the target point, you've had an amazing run.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 582
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby MadCow2357 » March 31st, 2018, 5:33 am

Right now my wooden car travels the target distance in about 3 seconds. As long as the accuracy holds up, I can take gold. Rhode Island is not really competitive.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Contact:

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby cheese » March 31st, 2018, 9:30 am

I will bet you that there is someone faster *wink*
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 582
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby MadCow2357 » March 31st, 2018, 11:44 am

cheese wrote:I will bet you that there is someone faster *wink*

Probably.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Competitive Times for regionals

Postby shrewdPanther46 » April 1st, 2018, 8:02 pm

I just realized I accidentally labeled this as "regionals"

Sorry for the confusion. I meant at the national level. Thoughts?

CMS AC
Member
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 3:54 pm
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Competitive Times for regionals

Postby CMS AC » April 1st, 2018, 8:05 pm

Lol...

It's april fools, scioly did this to you

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Competitive Times for regionals

Postby shrewdPanther46 » April 1st, 2018, 8:18 pm

Gimme a break i just got back from vacation and checked scioly as im about to fall asleep lol

hippo9
Member
Member
Posts: 242
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 9:35 am
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Competitive Times for regionals

Postby hippo9 » April 1st, 2018, 8:24 pm

He wasn't being mean he meant @pril fools day they put up some filters
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Competitive Times for regionals

Postby shrewdPanther46 » April 1st, 2018, 8:25 pm

i know lol

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Postby builder83 » April 2nd, 2018, 9:10 pm

Times are cool and more "fun". But I am more curious at how accurate people are. Whos consistantly getting within 1 cm runs? I am consistantly under 5cm. 2nd run usually under 3cm (sometimes right on the button). I still don't think the fastest car will win.

Anybody try a brake system other than wingnut?


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest