Justin72835
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Justin72835 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: You can find the function of the line going right through those points. The function would be final temperature as a function of starting temperature, and it would be as simple as y = mx + b. Then plug in 63.
This isn't the greatest idea, since it's very doubtful the data will form a line. The only way to know what the data is going to turn out like is to test it (which is painful, I know)
Lol, it’ll be close enough. The relationship may not be exactly linear but it will be very, very close to it. You might be off an extra 0.2 degrees or something but it’s worth the time saved. Spend that extra time studying instead.

Also, there are other functions you can make which would model the data more closely, but that’s up to you.
On the same topic, usually, the temperature drops rapidly for around the first five minutes, then begins to settle into the regression curve. How is it possible to calculate this initial drop regardless of your initial temperature?
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Justin72835 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: This isn't the greatest idea, since it's very doubtful the data will form a line. The only way to know what the data is going to turn out like is to test it (which is painful, I know)
Lol, it’ll be close enough. The relationship may not be exactly linear but it will be very, very close to it. You might be off an extra 0.2 degrees or something but it’s worth the time saved. Spend that extra time studying instead.

Also, there are other functions you can make which would model the data more closely, but that’s up to you.
On the same topic, usually, the temperature drops rapidly for around the first five minutes, then begins to settle into the regression curve. How is it possible to calculate this initial drop regardless of your initial temperature?
That initial drop is partially due to the heat entering the beaker (which also depends on what material you use for the beaker). I’m not sure why you would need to calculate it though.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Wait a minute! I keep hearing all this talk of different beakers.Are you, people implying that the rules allow different material beakers? :?: If so what type of beakers are you people using? I am using Pyrex Beakers.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MattChina »

TheChiScientist wrote:Wait a minute! I keep hearing all this talk of different beakers.Are you, people implying that the rules allow different material beakers? :?: If so what type of beakers are you people using? I am using Pyrex Beakers.
same. I dont think it makes much difference.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
TheChiScientist

But if it does I wanna know.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Your beakers have to be plastic or glass and they have to be identical. It does make a difference what material you use, at least for the heat retention, but I wouldn’t get caught up in it at this point in the season. Ultimately, you want a material that won’t absorb much heat from the water poured into it and will do so at a low rate — I’ll let you all figure out the rest.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

The key is that there's also a control beaker outside though?
TheChiScientist

Yes I believe so as well :?:
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:The key is that there's also a control beaker outside though?
True, but I think the control beaker will cool down so much that the difference in beaker materias won’t effect the control beaker as much as the internal beaker. But you’re right, it should offset it some.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Wait a minute! I keep hearing all this talk of different beakers.Are you, people implying that the rules allow different material beakers? :?: If so what type of beakers are you people using? I am using Pyrex Beakers.
Since plastic beakers are allowed, they insulate better, but it shouldn't affect your HRF. I prefer pyrex beakers but there is no real scientific reason behind it.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “2018 Lab Events”