Thermodynamics B/C

Locked
User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 730
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Contemplating yeeting myself off a cliff...
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by TheChiScientist » April 8th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Interesting. I will take this into account next year :D
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: September 29th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by arv101 » April 9th, 2018, 1:11 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:Wait a minute! I keep hearing all this talk of different beakers.Are you, people implying that the rules allow different material beakers? :?: If so what type of beakers are you people using? I am using Pyrex Beakers.
Wait the rules don't say anything about the material right?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 388
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: South Brunswick
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by CookiePie1 » April 9th, 2018, 1:37 pm

arv101 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Wait a minute! I keep hearing all this talk of different beakers.Are you, people implying that the rules allow different material beakers? :?: If so what type of beakers are you people using? I am using Pyrex Beakers.
Wait the rules don't say anything about the material right?
The rules say "2 identical, unaltered, glass or plastic, standard (height~1.4 times the diameter) 250 mL beakers;"
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
JoeyC
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 503 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by JoeyC » April 9th, 2018, 2:32 pm

However, they don't usually check the height of the beaker rule; I've seen quite a few plastic pyrex beakers that violate that rule but are still allowed to be used in competition by the event procters
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
John 14:15
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

In memory of Ravi Zacharias, a friend of Christ.

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 730
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Contemplating yeeting myself off a cliff...
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by TheChiScientist » April 9th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Interesting but then that means plastic beakers are better insulators :D
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

User avatar
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 388
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: South Brunswick
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by CookiePie1 » April 9th, 2018, 2:48 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:Interesting but then that means plastic beakers are better insulators :D
But it doesn't matter because your external beaker is also plastic.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS » April 9th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I don't think the 1.4 rule is supposed to be extremely specific. It's just so people don't come in with graduated cylinders or something like that.
CookiePie1 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Interesting but then that means plastic beakers are better insulators :D
But it doesn't matter because your external beaker is also plastic.
It probably matters less, but I think you'd have to do some testing to see if it doesn't matter at all. But certainly its effect is tiny, if at all.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 730
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Contemplating yeeting myself off a cliff...
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by TheChiScientist » April 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Still, every point counts. :D
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: September 29th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by arv101 » April 10th, 2018, 3:21 pm

JoeyC wrote:However, they don't usually check the height of the beaker rule; I've seen quite a few plastic pyrex beakers that violate that rule but are still allowed to be used in competition by the event procters
When you say that the plastic beakers violate the rule you mean because of their height/ dimensions right? Its not because of its material or company right?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

User avatar
JoeyC
Member
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 503 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by JoeyC » April 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Yes, their heights aren't near 1.4 times their diameters; these are mainly the wide plastic pyrex beakers.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
John 14:15
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

In memory of Ravi Zacharias, a friend of Christ.

Locked

Return to “2018 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests