Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by Anomaly »

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Can't believe raw scores are out for the PA regionals :O
Link pls?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hSx1n ... k6AGjHYwt5
I've been staring at these for the past 3 hours and comparing our team's scores to all the other teams'. Woooo I had the highest fast facts score in the state (and third highest in road scholar wooo).
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by pikachu4919 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Can anyone recommend a good laptop for college students?
I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

EDIT: Realize this post might look really incoherent so I can answer more questions if you have any. Also on an unrelated note I just switched from Chrome to Firefox and like....why didn't I do this earlier it's so much better....
The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

I’ve never heard anyone say another browser was better than chrome... hmm...
I'd also add that unless you're trying to go for a laptop that may double as a gaming laptop, it may also depend on your major. Some majors might require more processing power or software compatibility, while other majors may require better graphics capabilities. For example, here are recommendation guidelines for Purdue's engineering school and polytechnic institute: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Supp ... opsuggesti

This may also give ideas for approximate price point vs cost: https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/undergra ... mendations

Personally, I use a MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display bc it's portable, it has a good battery life, and I still use it for some graphic design in addition to it being really good with all the software I use for engineering, but it's also expensive so whatever floats your boat. I would not recommend the old MacBook Pro 13" (the one with the CD slot) bc I used to use one and it broke a lot)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Anomaly »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Can anyone recommend a good laptop for college students?
I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

EDIT: Realize this post might look really incoherent so I can answer more questions if you have any. Also on an unrelated note I just switched from Chrome to Firefox and like....why didn't I do this earlier it's so much better....
The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P
Medal/Ribbon Count
y o i n k s
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Anomaly wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote: I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P
Sarcasm, Anomaly? Opera is, without a doubt, the best browser.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

I personally feel that Internet Explor
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Anomaly wrote: Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P
I personally feel that Internet Explor
What did it kick you out as you were typing?
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Anomaly wrote:Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P
Edge does have that nice thing where you can draw on webpages... kind of annoying that it doesn't have the same features as smart notebook though
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

And, we are at 15,000 posts for the 2018 season so far - the largest number since 2012 (which is missing the RSI forums due to some issues).

Although, 1500+ of these are from Fast Facts...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Unome wrote:And, we are at 15,000 posts for the 2018 season so far - the largest number since 2012 (which is missing the RSI forums due to some issues).

Rethinking whether question marathons should count towards post count as a result. :?:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Anomaly »

Unome wrote:And, we are at 15,000 posts for the 2018 season so far - the largest number since 2012 (which is missing the RSI forums due to some issues).

What are you implying... :P
wooo go Fast Facts
Medal/Ribbon Count
y o i n k s

Return to “General Chat”