Unofficial Rankings C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by windu34 »

I think many of us (including me) just want to see the underdog win and overthrow the dominant school just to prove it is possible to all the teams/schools out there who have lost hope of ever going to nationals due to state powerhouses
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
varunscs11
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by varunscs11 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:What do you all think about the effect of Texas losing its second bid on the national rankings? I mean obviously it will open a spot in the top 10, but do you think the Texas team attending nats will be better as a result of the change?

Also Unome where is Japan on your rankings :P
I wouldn't say so this year, because it happened pretty late.
But I think that in future years, it may boost Texas teams because they would be studying extra hard to get that one spot?
That's what I was thinking, but I forgot that Texas had so many Texas-only events. It will be interesting to see how they do. I certainly don't think they'll do worse.
We usually do one or two Texas events because we have event we are really weak at or events that are too random (cough cough WIDI) and given that the top three teams are so dominant, there's absolutely no room for error and that's even more true now with only one bid being given to Texas. And many times studying harder doesn't mean you will win the event or even do well because exams are relatively rudimentary (meaning that distributions are tight). You have to study for state like its state, not like its nationals or MIT. Whichever team can make this shift in mindset the best will win and it goes without saying that all three teams are capable of making nationals and capable of finishing in the top 10. But the caveat is that the most nationally competitive team might not be the one that makes it out because of the different testing styles between state and national level competitions.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Crtomir wrote:
Unome wrote:My newer rankings (feel free to let me know if you think I forgot someone, that's rather likely)

1. Troy
2. Mason
3. Harriton
4. Solon
Mason? Seriously? Beating Solon? Seriously? ;)
Thanks for the support :D
Isn't it unlikely for a first-year team to be beating multiple year competitors? e.g. Tower Heights last year
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

dxu46 wrote: Isn't it unlikely for a first-year team to be beating multiple year competitors? e.g. Tower Heights last year
Mason seems extremely strong this year and a 2nd at MIT really shows it. If Troy has some really bad luck, they have a realistic chance of getting first in thier first year. Also even being a first time competitors, they know they can definitely get 2nd which would motivate them. I feel like most first time teams usually arnt as dominant and don't study because they don't expect to get anything from Nationals in the first place.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Name wrote:
dxu46 wrote: Isn't it unlikely for a first-year team to be beating multiple year competitors? e.g. Tower Heights last year
Mason seems extremely strong this year and a 2nd at MIT really shows it. If Troy has some really bad luck, they have a realistic chance of getting first in thier first year. Also even being a first time competitors, they know they can definitely get 2nd which would motivate them. I feel like most first time teams usually arnt as dominant and don't study because they don't expect to get anything from Nationals in the first place.
I think we have a similar conversation every year. Last year Tower Heights was routinely getting placed in people's top 6. In the modern era, no team has ever gone from not making nationals to getting top 3, as far as I know. It's not just the competition, but the entire newness of the experience that contributes; there's no way to prepare yourself for nationals aside from experiencing it yourself. I think Mason is strong enough that they can buck the first-year trend if they make it, but second is probably a reach and first is very optimistic.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Name wrote:
I think we have a similar conversation every year. Last year Tower Heights was routinely getting placed in people's top 6. In the modern era, no team has ever gone from not making nationals to getting top 3, as far as I know. It's not just the competition, but the entire newness of the experience that contributes; there's no way to prepare yourself for nationals aside from experiencing it yourself. I think Mason is strong enough that they can buck the first-year trend if they make it, but second is probably a reach and first is very optimistic.
Agree with East. You don't know what to expect with Nationals unless you've attended or have followed these forums religiously and have spoken to quite an extent with individuals who have been successful at the national level. There are quite a few little tricks and things you can do that do not yield significant benefit at the regional/state/invite levels, but can be the difference between top 6 and the 10-25 (in my approximation) range at the national level.
Teams that do not regularly attend nationals most likely have never bothered with these things because why would they? There isn't a point in most cases
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Name wrote:
Agree with East. You don't know what to expect with Nationals unless you've attended or have followed these forums religiously and have spoken to quite an extent with individuals who have been successful at the national level. There are quite a few little tricks and things you can do that do not yield significant benefit at the regional/state/invite levels, but can be the difference between top 6 and the 10-25 (in my approximation) range at the national level.
Teams that do not regularly attend nationals most likely have never bothered with these things because why would they? There isn't a point in most cases
Agreed, and now that I'm realizing how late OH State is I might drop them to 3rd or 4th, since despite the availability of National Test Packets and all, that's very little time to get ready for Nationals.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Why would their studying routine be altered specifically for nationals? I don't see why the fact that their state tournament is held late can hinder their performance at nationals if they make it. If they have performed in high quality environments, why would anything change for nationals?
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Why would their studying routine be altered specifically for nationals? I don't see why the fact that their state tournament is held late can hinder their performance at nationals if they make it. If they have performed in high quality environments, why would anything change for nationals?
Well put it this way.
Who would do better?
Someone who studied for a test two weeks before the test date or someone in one week?
Most likely the one with two weeks. Same thing happens with teams with early states and later states.

The teams who have a month to prepare might do better than those who are late. But it really depend show the team is.
Deleted
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

DarthBuilder wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:Why would their studying routine be altered specifically for nationals? I don't see why the fact that their state tournament is held late can hinder their performance at nationals if they make it. If they have performed in high quality environments, why would anything change for nationals?
Well put it this way.
Who would do better?
Someone who studied for a test two weeks before the test date or someone in one week?
Most likely the one with two weeks. Same thing happens with teams with early states and later states.

The teams who have a month to prepare might do better than those who are late. But it really depend show the team is.
Well thier mostly (if not the same) events ran at states, why would it make a difference
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner

Return to “2018 Nationals”