Helicopters C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by bjt4888 »

sciencegirl03,

This is usually due to difference in humidity between the location where the heli was constructed and the competition location. It is better, usually, to build in low humidity and accept sagging when competing in higher humidity locations than to build in high humidity and have materials over-tighten when competing in low humidity locations.

A practice followed in the past, for certain indoor airplane classes, to ensure this "build low humidity/fly high humidity" was to build in a "hot box" (ex. a big lightbulb heated "box building environment").

All of our helis have relatively loose Kevlar and it doesn't really hurt performance.

Good observation and question.

Brian T.
sciencegirl03
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencegirl03 »

bjt4888 wrote:sciencegirl03,

This is usually due to difference in humidity between the location where the heli was constructed and the competition location. It is better, usually, to build in low humidity and accept sagging when competing in higher humidity locations than to build in high humidity and have materials over-tighten when competing in low humidity locations.

A practice followed in the past, for certain indoor airplane classes, to ensure this "build low humidity/fly high humidity" was to build in a "hot box" (ex. a big lightbulb heated "box building environment").

All of our helis have relatively loose Kevlar and it doesn't really hurt performance.

Good observation and question.

Brian T.
Ok, thanks! That confirms what we have been thinking too.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

My team is going to nationals, and we'll be flying there so I was wondering what's the best way to transport the helicopters to make sure they don't get damaged?
2019 Events: Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Fossils
glouthan
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by glouthan »

Eureka314 wrote:My team is going to nationals, and we'll be flying there so I was wondering what's the best way to transport the helicopters to make sure they don't get damaged?
I currently have a transport case in the works, I will post a photo of it once I finish it and I can give you the plans for how to make it... We have our state competition coming up next week and our devices will need to survive a 2-3 hr bus ride so I will let you know how it goes.
Events:
2015: Bridges, Bungee, Experimental Design
2016: It's About time, Experimental Design, Helicopters (trial)
2017: Helicopters, Electric Vehicle, Experimental Design, Optics
2018: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff-E (trial)
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Eureka314 wrote:My team is going to nationals, and we'll be flying there so I was wondering what's the best way to transport the helicopters to make sure they don't get damaged?
Secure the helicopters to a box with a packaging supporter of your choice (preferably bubble wrap). Then package all of that into a carry on and hold it for the whole ride. No other way that is as secure as that, unfortunately.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Raleway wrote:
Secure the helicopters to a box with a packaging supporter of your choice (preferably bubble wrap). Then package all of that into a carry on and hold it for the whole ride. No other way that is as secure as that, unfortunately.
Packing peanuts work nicely too. Except, you always have to be careful when dumping them out. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Blonded
State: NY

Post by Blonded »

I broke 2 out of 3 Chinooks while transporting at my States comp. :(
I made very stupid mistakes though.
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Raleway wrote:
Packing peanuts work nicely too. Except, you always have to be careful when dumping them out. ;)

Thanks! It's a gonna be a 4 hour-ish flight so it'll be interesting to hold on to it for that long, I'm really hoping that nothing breaks lol
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

Blonded wrote:I broke 2 out of 3 Chinooks while transporting at my States comp. :(
I made very stupid mistakes though.
Aw that sucks, we've already broken 1 chinook and 2 rotors so it is really important that this last chinook gets to Colorado safely
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Eureka314 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Raleway wrote:

Thanks! It's a gonna be a 4 hour-ish flight so it'll be interesting to hold on to it for that long, I'm really hoping that nothing breaks lol
Since you're flying, I'd advise you to store it under the seat in front of you if you can. That way you can be assured it won't be thrown around. The only reason ours got damaged on the way to an invite was because the box flipped over when going through the security conveyor belt, which is easily preventable. And the damage was really minimal anyhow.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

Return to “Helicopters C”