Scores?

nicksalanitri
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores?

Post by nicksalanitri »

wzhang5460 wrote:Rumor has it that Gelinas hired a professional tech coach just for Rollercoaster.

wink wink( that isn't true but it would be pretty funny).

Also, Ivan got like more than 30 sec off the target time lol.

The time was 37 seconds and we got 7 Lol.
Ward Melville 2018-2020 + DMAH Coach 2019

2019 Events: Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping

2020 Events: Fossils, Ornithology, Gravity Vehicle (also did forensics, ppp, wright)
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

nicksalanitri wrote:
wzhang5460 wrote:Rumor has it that Gelinas hired a professional tech coach just for Rollercoaster.

That's great actually. That's exactly what I'm saying. If you do the optimization, the best way to get points is through jumps. You need height to get jumps. You use all the height you possibly can to get the most total jump distance, then use whatever is left over to get time. Time Score and Height Score are irrelevant. You only need to focus on the Gap Score. The optimization is not very well balanced this year, but it is what it is and congratulations to Gelinas for figuring that out early and getting such a high score from gaps alone.
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Crtomir wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:

That's great actually. That's exactly what I'm saying. If you do the optimization, the best way to get points is through jumps. You need height to get jumps. You use all the height you possibly can to get the most total jump distance, then use whatever is left over to get time. Time Score and Height Score are irrelevant. You only need to focus on the Gap Score. The optimization is not very well balanced this year, but it is what it is and congratulations to Gelinas for figuring that out early and getting such a high score from gaps alone.
Yeah, although I doubt that was their intent, that's what ended up happening. In my design I had the first 70 cm o height devoted to gaps, and then left 7 cm for time adjustment, which I was able to get within 3 seconds of anything below 40 seconds.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
kylg
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Post by kylg »

'7 cm for time adjustment, which I was able to get within 3 seconds of anything below 40 seconds."
wow, this is bitconnect level skill. pls tell how u got so much time out of so little space, I seem to be running into the same problem as others who have devoted vast quantities of "free real estate" to gaps.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
Crtomir

Post by Crtomir »

If you use a magnetic ball with a non-ferromagnetic roller coaster such as aluminum, you can slow the ball down a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Wu3dizBKc

But be warned, event officials might think the magnetic ball is not allowed because the rules say the roller coaster cannot have magnets. However, in my opinion, the ball is not part of the roller coaster (the rules make a distinction between "roller coaster" and "vehicle"). Also, a magnetic ball will not be attracted to a non-ferromagnetic material like aluminum when not moving. It's only when it moves that the ball feels a retarding magnetic force because of dynamically induced electric currents in the aluminum as the ball rolls down.

In my opinion, this is using science to come up with a better engineering solution, which is what Science Olympiad should encourage. Unfortunately, you will likely get tiered with a construction violation if you do this. I have submitted a FAQ question months ago on this, but no response.
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

What is the largest total gap bonus teams have in cm?
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Crtomir wrote:If you use a magnetic ball with a non-ferromagnetic roller coaster such as aluminum, you can slow the ball down a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Wu3dizBKc

But be warned, event officials might think the magnetic ball is not allowed because the rules say the roller coaster cannot have magnets. However, in my opinion, the ball is not part of the roller coaster (the rules make a distinction between "roller coaster" and "vehicle"). Also, a magnetic ball will not be attracted to a non-ferromagnetic material like aluminum when not moving. It's only when it moves that the ball feels a retarding magnetic force because of dynamically induced electric currents in the aluminum as the ball rolls down.

In my opinion, this is using science to come up with a better engineering solution, which is what Science Olympiad should encourage. Unfortunately, you will likely get tiered with a construction violation if you do this. I have submitted a FAQ question months ago on this, but no response.
eyyy this induced eddy current is appearing all over the place. nice idea m8
hopefully the ES doesnt get triggered
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

hmmm, i want to see a teams roller coaster use magnetic levitation, that would be lit
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

bruh thats just against the rules lol
Crtomir

Post by Crtomir »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:bruh thats just against the rules lol
Technically, the rules make a clear distinction between the roller coaster itself (which cannot have magnets) and the vehicle (of which little is said except in a FAQ that says it must be spherical). Like I said, I asked a question about this specifically months ago, but no response. Not going to risk it at State unless an FAQ comes back and says OK.

Return to “Roller Coaster B”