Competitive Times for Nationals

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Lol I feel you man.. speed is where its at ;)
If you decrease your speed and practice, I guarantee you it will work out. Dynamic braking might help... but we aren't using it because we are somewhat satisfied with what we have.

Edit: extra note, we were stuck at around 20 cm off for a really really really really long time. over time, when u practice, pay attention to what the issue is, and just keep trying small things to change it. One thing that impacted our car's accuracy for the very first time we run it after removing it from the box was the way we positioned the wingnut in the box. Theres a lot of factors to consider and account for
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Lol I feel you man.. speed is where its at ;)
If you decrease your speed and practice, I guarantee you it will work out. Dynamic braking might help... but we aren't using it because we are somewhat satisfied with what we have.

Edit: extra note, we were stuck at around 20 cm off for a really really really really long time. over time, when u practice, pay attention to what the issue is, and just keep trying small things to change it. One thing that impacted our car's accuracy for the very first time we run it after removing it from the box was the way we positioned the wingnut in the box. Theres a lot of factors to consider and account for
Thanks. You have no idea how much I have learned from you and the other guys on there forum. By the way, what is dynamic braking?

Wish me luck for tomorrow, I'll need it.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:

Thanks. You have no idea how much I have learned from you and the other guys on there forum. By the way, what is dynamic braking?

I believe shrewdPanther46 is referring to introducing a braking force while the vehicle is still in motion, whether that be transferring kinetic energy into stored potential energy in the form of an elastic or spring, or turning off the motor to introduce the motors internal resistance to help slow the vehicle, or some other method other than only relying on the physical locking of the wingnut at the very end
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

I believe shrewdPanther46 is referring to introducing a braking force while the vehicle is still in motion, whether that be transferring kinetic energy into stored potential energy in the form of an elastic or spring, or turning off the motor to introduce the motors internal resistance to help slow the vehicle, or some other method other than only relying on the physical locking of the wingnut at the very end
I have a spring between the wingnut and the stopping hex nut already, if you were recommending that. How would I have the micro switch activate earlier though? The wingnut would activate the switch as it traveled over, and then release the button as it passed over. In that case, the vehicle would slow down for a.second, and Jeep going. Or, the wingnut would completely lock against the roller part, tearing off the whole lever. Unless I use 2 microswitches...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46

Read through the brake system thread for advice
shrewdPanther46

Has anyone seen time scores under 4 points at competition? What were the best times of cars you have seen where the accuracy is still competitive?

I'm getting worried that the speed of my car will not suffice after my partner and I slowed it down for accuracy, so I would like to know the kind of times we will all be seeing at nationals.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: Thanks. You have no idea how much I have learned from you and the other guys on there forum. By the way, what is dynamic braking?

I have a spring between the wingnut and the stopping hex nut already, if you were recommending that. How would I have the micro switch activate earlier though? The wingnut would activate the switch as it traveled over, and then release the button as it passed over. In that case, the vehicle would slow down for a.second, and Jeep going. Or, the wingnut would completely lock against the roller part, tearing off the whole lever. Unless I use 2 microswitches...
I would not recommend having a spring BETWEEN the wingnut and the locking end because it will not provide consistent locking position and will mess up the spring
You can extend the wingnut so it continues to cover the switch once the leading edge has pushed it (extend the lagging/rear edge)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
jcmarcus0816
Has thanked: 0

Post by jcmarcus0816 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Has anyone seen time scores under 4 points at competition? What were the best times of cars you have seen where the accuracy is still competitive?

I'm getting worried that the speed of my car will not suffice after my partner and I slowed it down for accuracy, so I would like to know the kind of times we will all be seeing at nationals.

My partner and I got a time score of a little over 5 at the Michigan state competition with a distance score of 8, and we got first. At one point we did have a time score of under four but the car skid so much that the consistency was completely wack. There are some ways you can get the car to take a longer time to slow down to reduce skidding but we did not have enough time, so we just slowed our car down to about 2.6 seconds. If I were you, I would just focus on accuracy and make sure your car can run under 3 seconds.
shrewdPanther46

jcmarcus0816 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:Has anyone seen time scores under 4 points at competition? What were the best times of cars you have seen where the accuracy is still competitive?

My partner and I got a time score of a little over 5 at the Michigan state competition with a distance score of 8, and we got first. At one point we did have a time score of under four but the car skid so much that the consistency was completely wack. There are some ways you can get the car to take a longer time to slow down to reduce skidding but we did not have enough time, so we just slowed our car down to about 2.6 seconds. If I were you, I would just focus on accuracy and make sure your car can run under 3 seconds.
Yea we are setting our car so that it brakes on average 1 meter prior to the distance, so we are still able to maintain good times. But yes, I certainly agree with you that accuracy is more important than speed.
RyanMist
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by RyanMist »

jcmarcus0816 wrote:

I don't compete in this event and I am not completely sure about the rules. I think our team got a negative number of points and we got 2nd at states. Again I am not sure if this is true but I'm pretty sure
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar

Return to “Battery Buggy B”