Fossils

croman74
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils

Post by croman74 »

I just got 6th place at my regionals! The test was incredibly hard, and it didn't help that I only had 3 weeks to prepare.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA

Post by danger will robinson »

Really? Bravo croman!
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

got 1st at my states...but the test was surprisingly easy and i actually had like 2 months to prepare.

congrats crowman74!!! :D

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

soobsession

Post by soobsession »

dudeincolorado wrote:
RightorRong wrote:What should we put in our Fossils binders?
You should put what you don't know in it, but keep it light and fun sized! have you ever tried to look like 4 things up in a dictionary? It's just not possible. Keep it fun sized!
i agree with dudeincolorado's approach to the binder but i kinda took a different approach....basically i stuffed every last bit of information on the stuff on the fossils list and rules into a 2 inch binder and organized it really really really well. (i wasn't risking me blanking out) it wasn't exactly "fun sized" but it was well organized and helpful. keep it organized.

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

as long as you can find it you'll be ok. I jut know that i personally cant do ANYTHING in 3 mins I panic and start being loud... so i keep it fun sized :D
SO stressed!
croman74

Post by croman74 »

My test at regionals was all identification of fossils, and that was the part that I was supposed to cover. My partner knew everything else. Given that I only had 3 weeks, the test was really hard. And even though I should've known more identification, my partner contributed more.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
Jillferret12345
Division: B

Post by Jillferret12345 »

Hi!
I was placed in fossils for states and I have 4 weeks to prepare I need some major help! I am in the NY competition so if anyones willing to please give me some tips on what to bring what to study and how!
2009 Regional
Bay Trail Middle School

Road Scholar...5th
Write it Do it...
Meteorology...
blufoster6
State: SC

Post by blufoster6 »

Jillferret12345 wrote:Hi!
I was placed in fossils for states and I have 4 weeks to prepare I need some major help! I am in the NY competition so if anyones willing to please give me some tips on what to bring what to study and how!
You should check the rubric for this event because everything you need to know is listed on it.
DOUBLE RAINBOW
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

well...first you need the rules and the fossils list which can be found at http://soinc.org/fossils_b
and well...basically you just research everything on the fossils list and the rules...
you're allowed to bring a binder so you can either put the things you dont know in the binder like dudeincolorado did or pack literally everything into the binder as i did
you're also allowed to bring a field guide...id suggest either the smithsonian fossil handbook (as suggested by the rules) or the audubon field guide...

croman74

Post by croman74 »

Jillferret12345 wrote:Hi!
I was in the same situation before regionals, yet I still placed 6th. Basically known info about each phylum, then come test time, you're able to identify the fossil by it's phylum. That way you can look in your field guide under the phylum, then try to match the pictures.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st

Return to “2009 Study Events”