Unofficial Rankings C

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by TheChiScientist »

This year I could see New Trier getting a new record high and end up in top 5...
Stevenson, on the other hand, could end up lower this year...
(ISO state was chaos and completely went against all conformity)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Why do I keep seeing Northville ranked so low? They got 4th at nats last year, and got a lower point score at states this year than last. Did they bomb an invite that I didn't notice?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Why do I keep seeing Northville ranked so low? They got 4th at nats last year, and got a lower point score at states this year than last. Did they bomb an invite that I didn't notice?
I believe MIT is weighing them down on my calculations. East and I have them at 4th and 6th respectively and I think that's pretty reasonable. Another explanation is that other teams improved their states scores more than Northville at their respective tournaments thereby increasing the overall competitiveness
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Why do I keep seeing Northville ranked so low? They got 4th at nats last year, and got a lower point score at states this year than last. Did they bomb an invite that I didn't notice?
I believe MIT is weighing them down on my calculations. East and I have them at 4th and 6th respectively and I think that's pretty reasonable. Another explanation is that other teams improved their states scores more than Northville at their respective tournaments thereby increasing the overall competitiveness
Northville has (relatively) bombed basically every invite they've attended.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DarthBuilder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

windu34 wrote:
Why is New Trier and Stevenson pretty low on your list?
Deleted
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

DarthBuilder wrote:
windu34 wrote:
I think that can be mainly attributed to large gains in state point totals. Unfortunately, I lost the spreadsheet when I reset my laptop (Forgot to move the spreadsheet to my flashdrive) so I can't find out the exact reason, but I plan to recreate the spreadsheet at some point when I have free time for next years nationals.
DarthBuilder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

windu34 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
windu34 wrote: I believe MIT is weighing them down on my calculations. East and I have them at 4th and 6th respectively and I think that's pretty reasonable. Another explanation is that other teams improved their states scores more than Northville at their respective tournaments thereby increasing the overall competitiveness
I think that can be mainly attributed to large gains in state point totals. Unfortunately, I lost the spreadsheet when I reset my laptop (Forgot to move the spreadsheet to my flashdrive) so I can't find out the exact reason, but I plan to recreate the spreadsheet at some point when I have free time for next years nationals.
Why wait till next year?;)
Deleted
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

windu34 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
windu34 wrote: I believe MIT is weighing them down on my calculations. East and I have them at 4th and 6th respectively and I think that's pretty reasonable. Another explanation is that other teams improved their states scores more than Northville at their respective tournaments thereby increasing the overall competitiveness
Lol WWP North also seemed way too high imo
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

DarthBuilder wrote:
windu34 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
Why wait till next year?;)
Im taking classes over the summer (classes actually started today) and I like to try not to waste too much time on "personal projects" since I should probably be working on my actual research projects (plus I already finished the list so there wouldn't be a point).
Lol WWP North also seemed way too high imo
Yeah I kind of thought so too. There isn't really any outstanding bias (such as a high MIT performance) that I could pinpoint. I think their performance at State must have been the reason
TheChiScientist

Post by TheChiScientist »

ISO state was chaotic so I guess a lower ranking makes sense.
Whoops. :oops: Wrong account. TheChiScientist.
Last edited by EastStroudsburg13 on May 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Poster fixed by your friendly neighborhood admin
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “2018 Nationals”