Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by syo_astro »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Can't wait to get started (writing a circuit lab test)!
I'm shocked people are excited! (ba dum tss)
wethose wrote:How many submissions of tests and notes do you usually receive?
Heads up, this is ballpark. Overall (including build submits), we receive in the 80s. We don't accept all those (it's about half), though, for various reasons (often because users don't finish updating according to mod feedback, sometimes it's b/c of communication issues).

Why do you ask? If you have a venue to advertise / increase submissions for us, please do so:). If it's about picking an event to work on, I would just go for it, there will be inevitable overlap between submissions.
kate! wrote:Can we submit anything for Experimental Design? I was thinking of making some sort of guide along with practice experiments, like SOnerd has done in the past.
Yes, you can submit for all the events on the list for next year (linked in forever's post). Usually ExpD submissions are either a batch of example experiments and associated solutions or else a general guide. As in forever's post, it is generally good to look at past submissions from a few events for ideas of what a submission should look like. If we also get a ton of submissions, I'll try to update which events are lacking submissions.

Good questions, keep 'em coming!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

foreverphysics wrote: [*]You may submit notes for an event scheduled for 2019. The notes must be similarly extensive and at least 7,000 words long.
What're considered notes?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

foreverphysics wrote: [*]You may submit a set of images AND build plans for build events. There must be at least 3 images. They can be CAD or actual images.
[*]You may submit a building guide for build events, like Aia’s Boomilever Guide. Guides must be a minimum of 1,000 words and include diagrams and clear, concise instructions. Tips are good as well.[/list]
Say I decided to submit my Battery Buggy and Towers designs for this year. How likely would it be for other teams to copy my designs? I would be happy to help out some newbie competitors by presenting my blueprints for reference, but I obviously would not want them to completely copy my design and take it for their own. Of course, the rules will be somewhat different next year, but I think you guys know what I mean when I am expressing this concern.

Also a quick shout out to windu34 :) for providing inspiration for my battery buggy this year! I am quite happy with my 26th place in Battery Buggy at Nationals this year, as it is my first year doing build events. Also I finished the buggy less than a week before competition. ;)

By the way, can we get medals for contributing to this Study Session? I will probably take some time to update the wiki, too.
Last edited by MadCow2357 on May 23rd, 2018, 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
foreverphysics
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Post by foreverphysics »

Things2do wrote:
foreverphysics wrote: [*]You may submit notes for an event scheduled for 2019. The notes must be similarly extensive and at least 7,000 words long.
note (n) /nōt/:
1. a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.
2. a short informal letter or written message.

In the context of scioly, it means a set of words and pictures detailing specifics about an event in the form of notated information or paragraphs. You know, not questions.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

foreverphysics wrote:
Things2do wrote:
note (n) /nōt/:
1. a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.
2. a short informal letter or written message.

In the context of scioly, it means a set of words and pictures detailing specifics about an event in the form of notated information or paragraphs. You know, not questions.
I think Imma stick to tests...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
19alekb
Division: B
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by 19alekb »

Uh, this is kind of off topic, but for solar system b, is the topic going to be the same?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

MadCow2357 wrote:...Abbreviating the you said...
We have all been that clueless newbie. People on the forums, to my knowledge, try hard to explain "this idea was for last year" or that idea is not "THE be all end all official solution". We do ask for *build plans* (describing how you made it) to emphasize what ideas/materials you used. If you're very afraid about it, you could note in the pics/plans that they are based on 2018 rules, etc, but we tend to leave formatting as an exercise for you (with guidance from us)!

As for medals, you contribute a lot and...you know what, I'm going to quote a timeless quote from an old person: viewtopic.php?t=2182#p122197.
Things2do wrote:I think Imma stick to tests...
But notes are helpful:(.
19alekb wrote:Uh, this is kind of off topic, but for solar system b, is the topic going to be the same?
So...I don't know the topic. But for Div B space events, they stick with a topic for 2 years and change the objects...kinda. Last time Solar System was an event they made few (if any?) rules changes. As a result, I'm fine with Solar System submissions that use 2018 rules (unless someone wants to yell that's a bad idea).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
jaah5211
State: FL

Post by jaah5211 »

So I make tests and submit for resource?
jaah5211
State: FL

Post by jaah5211 »

Is it possible that I write both division B and C tests and get access to both divisions?
Also, for physical science events, should I include lab portions?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

jaah5211 wrote:So I make tests and submit for resource?...Is it possible that I write both division B and C tests and get access to both divisions?
See first post. It's not only tests, and you get access to all resources. Submitting resources is also explained (including reviewing, whether it gets uploaded, etc).
jaah5211 wrote:Also, for physical science events, should I include lab portions?
It's not required, whatever you think will result in better learning. That said, if you only write a test, the test should be longer. If you include a lab portion, you should give sufficient documents to explain the lab (pictures / diagrams, setup, example graphs, whatever is appropriate). Either way is not easier or harder.

Return to “SSSS & SEC”