Shock Value/Circuit Lab Question Marathon

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab Question Marathon

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I'll just invoke grad privilege to jump in:

Given a 9V ideal voltage source, and using only two power resistors, design a power source that provides 7V across open terminals and 5V across a 2000 ohm load. How much power does it consume while idle (open terminals)? What load gives the maximum power transfer efficiency, and what is that efficiency?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Schrodingerscat wrote:I'll just invoke grad privilege to jump in:

Given a 9V ideal voltage source, and using only two power resistors, design a power source that provides 7V across open terminals and 5V across a 2000 ohm load. How much power does it consume while idle (open terminals)? What load gives the maximum power transfer efficiency, and what is that efficiency?
I have no idea how to even begin to solve this question, which obviously begs the question "Where should I learn?"

Do you have textbook suggestions, or website suggestions?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

PM2017 wrote:

I have no idea how to even begin to solve this question, which obviously begs the question "Where should I learn?"

That's what I was wondering. I can study for most events, but I don't know where to start for this one. (I'm assuming that I'm gonna get this...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

I'd actually consider finding online materials from a college circuit analysis course if you want a thorough preparation in that part. I went through the first third or so of MITx 6.002x which I think definitely helped (this problem is partially based on one of the assignments from that class). You might also have better success going general physics level first as well. You will likely still need to learn other random basic stuff on your own either way though.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:

How to begin to solve this question - I presume one of the two in series and the other in parallel with the load. I would attempt to set up a series of equations similar to Kirchhoff's loop law. No idea whether this would actually work though, since it makes me question the need for two resistors and that doesn't seem to fit with the problem intention.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

Schrodingerscat wrote:I'd actually consider finding online materials from a college circuit analysis course if you want a thorough preparation in that part. I went through the first third or so of MITx 6.002x which I think definitely helped (this problem is partially based on one of the assignments from that class). You might also have better success going general physics level first as well. You will likely still need to learn other random basic stuff on your own either way though.
I'm good at learning random stuff...

Also ,
This is a guess, but a load of 2000 ohms would be the most efficient? And a efficiency of 73% or 76%?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Unome wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

How to begin to solve this question - I presume one of the two in series and the other in parallel with the load. I would attempt to set up a series of equations similar to Kirchhoff's loop law. No idea whether this would actually work though, since it makes me question the need for two resistors and that doesn't seem to fit with the problem intention.
That was actually exactly what I had in mind. Really "design" just meant recognize the configuration and calculate the values in this case. (Of course it is not the ideal way to actually regulate voltage given the heat losses).
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Unome wrote:
PM2017 wrote: I have no idea how to even begin to solve this question, which obviously begs the question "Where should I learn?"

That was actually exactly what I had in mind. Really "design" just meant recognize the configuration and calculate the values in this case. (Of course it is not the ideal way to actually regulate voltage given the heat losses).
So if we're assuming a setup where the loop has R1 in series and R2 in parallel with the load, I believe R1 = 514.3 ohm and R2 = 1800 ohm.

Thus, the power draw with no load would be 0.0622 W? I'm using V^2/R but I'm not sure if I'm calculating it correctly or not. I'm totally unsure of the last part of your problem.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
killer225whale
Been thanked: 0

Post by killer225whale »

Tesel wrote: So if we're assuming a setup where the loop has R1 in series and R2 in parallel with the load, I believe R1 = 514.3 ohm and R2 = 1800 ohm.

Thus, the power draw with no load would be 0.0622 W? I'm using V^2/R but I'm not sure if I'm calculating it correctly or not. I'm totally unsure of the last part of your problem.
I believe your values of R1 and R2 are correct.

The power transfer efficiency is the percentage of power that goes into your load vs. the total power coming from the source (the ideal voltage source in this case.) So you need to find the load resistance that maximizes that power transfer ratio/efficiency.
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Tesel wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:
Unome wrote: How to begin to solve this question - I presume one of the two in series and the other in parallel with the load. I would attempt to set up a series of equations similar to Kirchhoff's loop law. No idea whether this would actually work though, since it makes me question the need for two resistors and that doesn't seem to fit with the problem intention.
So if we're assuming a setup where the loop has R1 in series and R2 in parallel with the load, I believe R1 = 514.3 ohm and R2 = 1800 ohm.

Your numbers are off by I think a factor of 2. Quick check: 5V across 2000 ohms is 2.5mA and across 1800 is 2.8mA, for a total current of 5.3mA across 514.3 ohms, for a voltage of 2.7 volts. Thus you have a 9-5-2.7=1.3V discrepancy in the 5V load configuration. Also finding the maximum efficiency may be too messy for a test (even using a graphing calculator to maximize expressions), although you could find the maximum power to the load using Thevenin equivalent, which I do not believe gives maximum efficiency necessarily (without analyzing this specific configuration).

Return to “General Competition”