New York 2009

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: New York 2009

Post by Flavorflav »

zhaos wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Tom Lewis has done it for several years for B division, but I think you guys are going to get Harold this year.

If you find out your Junkyard height, I would really appreciate it if you would post it. I strongly suspect that the guy second tiered us after promising not to, twice.
Our figures were 80 cm height, $4.83 sorted, 15 bonus seconds.

I heard they second tiered people with lengths longer than 50 cm. That's ridiculous; nowhere does it say that in the rules.

And haha i don't think you should worry about whether you can hear Mr. Miller. I know Gelinas does well and all and so it's not going to change the score.
Thank you, zhaos.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Hey zhaos, would you happen to be Kevin? I didnt know you frequented the forums.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

zhaos wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Tom Lewis has done it for several years for B division, but I think you guys are going to get Harold this year.

If you find out your Junkyard height, I would really appreciate it if you would post it. I strongly suspect that the guy second tiered us after promising not to, twice.

I heard they second tiered people with lengths longer than 50 cm. That's ridiculous; nowhere does it say that in the rules.

And haha i don't think you should worry about whether you can hear Mr. Miller. I know Gelinas does well and all and so it's not going to change the score.
I've never competed in Junkyard...but reading the rules on line 3e it says "Additional variable parameters will be given to the teams as they enter the construction area on the day of the competition."

Could that have been an application of that rule?

Of course, if it was, they would have had to tell you it.

And did any team appeal the building schedule?
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

andrewwski wrote:
zhaos wrote:

I've never competed in Junkyard...but reading the rules on line 3e it says "Additional variable parameters will be given to the teams as they enter the construction area on the day of the competition."

Could that have been an application of that rule?

Of course, if it was, they would have had to tell you it.

And did any team appeal the building schedule?
They most certainly did not give them the additional parameters as they entered, though - they seemed to think they were in the printed rules. Somehow they interpreted the formula to mean that there was a maximum dimension of 100 X 50.

As for the building schedule, the State letter said something like "Junkyard Challenge will impound Friday between 2:00-5:00. At that time teams will be given their building time." I think most people interpreted to mean that they would choose when to build it at impound, but apparently they meant that they had to build it then.
Jo_squirrel
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jo_squirrel »

I didn't like the system that they had set up for Elevated Bridge. The one at the Athens Invitationals was the best and it was the first one I'd used at a competition as it's my first year doing Bridge. I thought that there'd be something similar for Regionals and States. I was terribly disappointed to find that the systems were not nearly as good. :|

The video that they showed us cracked me up for several reasons, but I was still impressed that they were able to put that video together in less than 4 hours. (I know this for a fact because I saw the camera-dude recording the Elevated Bridge at 2:00, after which, they very likely set out to make the video).

Also, weren't they supposed to have a Best Decorated Room thing going on? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think they mentioned the Best Decorated Room. (I personally liked the Techno Bus and Hawaii-Theme because everyone else around us pretty much had balloons and streamers and ribbons).
And for Best Shirt... I liked the caption on another team's shirt that read "If it moves, it's biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics." I don't get why/how Hicksville won it. (No offense to them, they did have a nice shirt and color and all, but I just personally liked this one better).
Actually, our team didn't even try to get these awards, so good job to those who won and to those who tried. ^^
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

They did announce best room, I forgot who got it though.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
baker

Post by baker »

Room Decorating Award went to Division Avenue
htmlfreak

Post by htmlfreak »

im surprised the techno bus didn't win. they were pretty amazing.
2010 Events:
Disease Detectives
Picture This
Experimental Design
Mission Possible
Chem Lab
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

What exactly was the system for bridge?
radashlee

Post by radashlee »

well the techno bus had nothing to do w/ science, it was pretty sick tho, and their shirts were too. the room is suppose to be based on science. the darwin thing was a pretty good idea but it was the 25th anniversary so they should have based on ppl that catered to that like um camden? yea. oh well i did enjoy the giant bday cake tho that was sick
"Science is magic that works"
Camden High School
Camden NY
Ecology, Disease Detective, Electric Vehicle, Sumo Bots.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”