Rules changes to BB for 2019

hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Rules changes to BB for 2019

Post by hippo9 »

builder83 wrote:I Or 2 wheeled vehicle events!
I know your probably just joking, but imagine if this happened. If they say ran scrambler and BB the same year, it would be interesting if they stressed speed in one, and then accuracy more in the other. This would never happen, but I think it would be interesting to see how teams would accomplish two vehicle events in one year.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

builder83 wrote: However I kind of miss scrambler. Wouldn't mind splatting eggs again. Or 2 wheeled vehicle events!
You want two events with wheels, or one event with a two-wheeled vehicle? Because Electric Bicycle sounds quite hard.

Agree that the bucket or something like it is probable. Maybe two cans off to one side with a bonus for how close together you put them, like Div C EV had. I don't think the balance between speed and accuracy will change much.
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

Why wouldn't you want to reward speed more? Accuracy was weighted too heavily I think, but each year is different.

And I was refering to 2 seperate events (BB and Scrambler). Although the bike idea could be challenging.

I also saw the EV shoot between cans for high school. I think that could be pretty hard for middle school, at least most people. At my regionals, half the cars would struggle shooting through a 2 meter wide target lol.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

i think theyl avoid the incorporation of freedom when it comes to electronic parts, cuz most div B ppl will get rekt by it. Cans seems a bit difficult. Even if they were to copy mousetrap with the whole going backwards thing, it would be difficult to do it mechanically w/o arduino and such aids, although it would still be possible.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

also saw the EV shoot between cans for high school. I think that could be pretty hard for middle school, at least most people. At my regionals, half the cars would struggle shooting through a 2 meter wide target lol.
I agree that shooting through cans in a curve is too difficult for middle school, but its certainly still a possibility. Even with calipers, it was tough for us div C people to make it accurate and repeatable and the build process itself was quite complex depending on how you decided to attach it, but it does make for an interesting challenge.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:i think theyl avoid the incorporation of freedom when it comes to electronic parts, cuz most div B ppl will get rekt by it. Cans seems a bit difficult. Even if they were to copy mousetrap with the whole going backwards thing, it would be difficult to do it mechanically w/o arduino and such aids, although it would still be possible.
Agree that B will remain no electronics. Also agree that going backwards is unlikely, although I think it can be done with just switches.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

TBH it would be great if there was like a x10 time multiplier and a x2 distance or something like that. Time wasn't a big issue this year, but there were teams which beat others because of the time score, even though the distance score was worse.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

*cough*
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote:...there were teams which beat others because of the time score, even though the distance score was worse.
This is literally the point of every vehicle event.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:...there were teams which beat others because of the time score, even though the distance score was worse.
This is literally the point of every vehicle event.
^ :lol:
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”