I love that three rotor design. I wish I had tried something like that. How did you pull that off (with winding, construction, etc.)?
Construction used the same principles as the 2 rotor as in we needed to keep the rotors on the bottom so the center of mass would be lower (more stability) and of course we had to use some sort of stability vane in order to keep the flight variance down. My thinking process behind this design was that it would be more efficient to use a triangle stabilizer instead of the "X" shaped one with 2 rotors as we could get the weight lower per rotor (3g for 2 rotors = 1.5 g/rotor, but with 3 rotors we could try getting the overall weight down past 4.5g, reducing the weight per rotor). As for the rotors 2 were spinning clockwise and one spins counter clockwise - we never had any issues with this configuration and our flights were stable meaning that even over the approx. 100' height ceiling at state the helicopter would remain only a few horizontal feet from where we launched.
Winding was the tricky part. We eventually started using mini binder clips attached onto the motor sticks to hold the rotors in place so that we could wind the next motor without having to hold the other rotor in place. This was especially helpful when all 3 motors were on as only one of us would have to carry it over to our launch spot then we would we would undo the binder clips and release. It would be difficult moving the 3 rotor device while both of us were holding the rotors - risk of breaking the motor sticks would be high!
Last edited by glouthan
on May 31st, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015: Bridges, Bungee, Experimental Design
2016: It's About time, Experimental Design, Helicopters (trial)
2017: Helicopters, Electric Vehicle, Experimental Design, Optics
2018: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff-E (trial)