Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by Unome »

axolotl wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
gillio wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiWjkv ... sp=sharing

I found this snake in my backyard. I think it is a lined snake but I might be wrong. Anybody wanna double-check? Thanks
Looks like a garter snak IMO
After some searching on the internet seems to be Thamnophis marcianus or Thamnophis sirtalis
I concur (unless it's a weird rat snake or something like that, I'm never quite willing to rule that out).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
retired1
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

for a common garter snake that I have seen, this one has a wider girth in the middle for the apparent length. Also I have never seen one with the white dashed lines to the sides of the central line.
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

Unome wrote:
axolotl wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Looks like a garter snak IMO
After some searching on the internet seems to be Thamnophis marcianus or Thamnophis sirtalis
I concur (unless it's a weird rat snake or something like that, I'm never quite willing to rule that out).
According to this, it's a common garter snake. Scroll about halfway down.
This also says it's a garter snake.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Things2do wrote:
Unome wrote:
axolotl wrote:
According to this, it's a common garter snake. Scroll about halfway down.
This also says it's a garter snake.
Glad I got something right this season :D
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
MathLover628

Post by MathLover628 »

Okay. So I've started making a binder but I've run into a pretty big problem. Take for example, Trachemys (Sliders), which one do we write about? There are a bunch of different trachemys turtles and each of them are different. What did you guys do?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

MathLover628 wrote:Okay. So I've started making a binder but I've run into a pretty big problem. Take for example, Trachemys (Sliders), which one do we write about? There are a bunch of different trachemys turtles and each of them are different. What did you guys do?
Write about all of them :)
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

I've started making my binder for next season (I'm new to the event) and I keep having to edit the templates I've created for each classification because the amount of information I'm finding for every section is varying a lot. For example, I've now combined Reproduction and Life Cycle because there's never enough information on the life cycles, and Ecology consists of impacts, habitat, diet, and behavior. Is this advisable? I don't have enough experience with bio ID to know...
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Sorry for the double post, but I'm also confused about one other thing. When you put images for an order, class, or family, which species do you choose images of? Or do you just search, for example, alligators, alligator eggs, etc?
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
MissAmargasaurus
State: ID
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

kate! wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I'm also confused about one other thing. When you put images for an order, class, or family, which species do you choose images of? Or do you just search, for example, alligators, alligator eggs, etc?
I usually try to pick from a variety of species! I make sure to label them like that too, such as "American alligator hatchling" vs "Chinese alligator hatchling". It's easier with groups that only have a few species, but I think having variety (If you have the space. Too many images can make things hard) helps a lot with cases like this! You don't need to have every species, but choosing ones that are the most common and/or are found in your state is helpful. For an example here's the image section of a couple of my sheets. I hope this helps!

2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

kate! wrote:I've started making my binder for next season (I'm new to the event) and I keep having to edit the templates I've created for each classification because the amount of information I'm finding for every section is varying a lot. For example, I've now combined Reproduction and Life Cycle because there's never enough information on the life cycles, and Ecology consists of impacts, habitat, diet, and behavior. Is this advisable? I don't have enough experience with bio ID to know...
Check out the herpetology id list page on the wiki (WIP!)

Return to “2018 Study Events”