Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Post Reply
User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 693
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: Suffering in a college class

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by TheChiScientist » June 5th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Makes sense. Guess I'll make some thermo tests. :)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 5th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by emjrennich » June 5th, 2018, 10:19 pm

I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
PHS class of '19 :)

User avatar
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 387
Joined: May 24th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by antoine_ego » June 6th, 2018, 3:24 am

emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 5th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by emjrennich » June 6th, 2018, 5:32 am

antoine_ego wrote:
emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
PHS class of '19 :)

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4195
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by Unome » June 6th, 2018, 6:04 am

emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 5th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by emjrennich » June 6th, 2018, 8:06 am

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
PHS class of '19 :)

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4195
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by Unome » June 6th, 2018, 1:22 pm

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: June 5th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by emjrennich » June 6th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote: I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.
Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!
PHS class of '19 :)

knottingpurple
Member
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: April 10th, 2016, 5:44 am
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by knottingpurple » June 6th, 2018, 8:04 pm

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.
Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!
Why don't the flying events happen simultaneously in B and C? Having mostly done events which happened simultaneously in B and C - the green gen/eco rotation, the different DP topics, wind power/thermo - I've wondered several times why that's not the case for flying too.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 593
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by syo_astro » June 7th, 2018, 12:13 am

If there are issues / confusion about the list that's a simple fix, please email or PM. If it's about event rotations, there's a thread for it (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11427&start=270). There's been a lot of posts recently (understandable, we just started), but this has been confusing people (some questions are being repeated / answers missed in the OP). The discussion isn't irrelevant, but a full, focused discussion about this is better in the other thread I linked.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests