Events 2018-2019

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Events 2018-2019

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: Very true. Fun fact: This year's National DD test didn't have a single question based on foodborne illnesses...
I also heard the format was very different from years past, which would be unusual. The format had been consistent for many years.
Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?
From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I also heard the format was very different from years past, which would be unusual. The format had been consistent for many years.
Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?
From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.
In the past, the test consistently focused on 2-3 scenarios, at least one of which related to the topic for the year. The scenarios would have a long block of text (think 1-2 entire pages) explaining an outbreak, investigation, etc. followed by a series of questions. As the questions progressed, additional information would periodically be introduced (e.g. lab results) to address more complex questions. In this format, there were few - if any - freestanding knowledge questions; questions focused on applying concepts to the scenarios.

I was told that this year's exam instead had many shorter scenarios and freestanding questions. This format is perfectly valid - I have used it in exams I wrote - but would be a departure from the traditional format at the National Tournament dating back to at least 2012.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Unome wrote: Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?
In the past, the test consistently focused on 2-3 scenarios, at least one of which related to the topic for the year. The scenarios would have a long block of text (think 1-2 entire pages) explaining an outbreak, investigation, etc. followed by a series of questions. As the questions progressed, additional information would periodically be introduced (e.g. lab results) to address more complex questions. In this format, there were few - if any - freestanding knowledge questions; questions focused on applying concepts to the scenarios.

I was told that this year's exam instead had many shorter scenarios and freestanding questions. This format is perfectly valid - I have used it in exams I wrote - but would be a departure from the traditional format at the National Tournament dating back to at least 2012.
Who said the tests had to stay traditional? ;)

[ik, ik, sometimes it's good to think outside of the box for test writing and sometimes that ends in total disaster, but still...]
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pikachu4919 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.

[ik, ik, sometimes it's good to think outside of the box for test writing and sometimes that ends in total disaster, but still...]
I'm just waiting for some Nationals ES to intentionally change their writing style just to troll competitors.
Userpage

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

pikachu4919 wrote:

I have no objection at all to utilizing different test styles; I just found the shift interesting after the format had stayed fixed for so long.

At the end of the day, format isn't what matters to me. I care that competitors receive quality tests that follow the rules and provide a good assessment of their knowledge. In my opinion, CDC has done a good job over the years of achieving that goal, and my students' only complaint this year was the lack of focus on food-borne illness. The format was acceptable - just different.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

I have no objection at all to utilizing different test styles; I just found the shift interesting after the format had stayed fixed for so long.

At the end of the day, format isn't what matters to me. I care that competitors receive quality tests that follow the rules and provide a good assessment of their knowledge. In my opinion, CDC has done a good job over the years of achieving that goal, and my students' only complaint this year was the lack of focus on food-borne illness. The format was acceptable - just different.
Ah, didn't really mean to say there's something wrong with objecting to different test styles...
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

MY CABBAGES!
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

any of yall got draft rules or the 2019 herp list yet
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
karanbe123
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by karanbe123 »

rip
Last edited by karanbe123 on July 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

karanbe123 wrote:
Galahad wrote:any of yall got draft rules or the 2019 herp list yet
Same I could really use those...
SOSI hasn't happened yet. That's when most of that stuff becomes more established. If anything's out now, it probably has quite a few more rounds of peer reviews among the higher ups left to go through before it's even close to what its final version will look like. (...right, chalker?)

If you're looking for things related to herp to study, then wouldn't hurt to look at stuff on the 2018 list since chances are some of those will return for next season or content about the specimens such as those described in rule 3.d. from the 2018 season.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
chalker

Post by chalker »

pikachu4919 wrote:
Chill. SOSI hasn't even happened yet. That's when most of that stuff becomes more established. If anything's out now, it probably has quite a few more rounds of peer reviews among the higher ups left to go through before it's even close to what its final version will look like. (...right, chalker?)
Right..........although we do have our 'SOSI' versions locked down now.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “General Competition”