Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Knyte_Xjn
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:Sorry for the late response! How do lead and copper enter drinking water, and what health problems can they lead to?
Both enter drinking water when pipes made of the metals corrode and the element gets dissolved in the water. Although they can lead to symptoms such as abdominal pains and reduced sperm count, poisoning typically results in mental issues such as insomnia, depression, learning difficulties in small children, and more.
Looks good, your turn!
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

Since there isn't a confirmed topic for next year, I'll stick with foodborne.
Wai Yu Mun Ching, a married Chinese feller, decided to ignore his diet and go out to a dinner buffet while his wife, Ai Wa Ching Yu, was on a business trip. At the buffet, Wai Yu Mun Ching wants to eat some fish, which he promised himself to give up during his diet. Out of the corner of the slits he calls “eyes”, he sees a trash can filled with red snappers, one of his favorite dishes. Looking around, he saw that no one else had any red snapper. So, being a true man and respecting the 5-minute rule (because 5-seconds is only for wimps), Wai Yu Mun Ching fills his plate up with the glorious fish and starts inhaling them, since he didn’t want other people asking where he got the fish from. After leaving the restaurant, having consumed a couple hundred red snappers, he didn’t eat anything else for the remainder of the night. The next morning, as soon as he wakes up, Wai Yu Mun Ching experiences nausea and diarrhea, but doesn’t know why.
1. What illness does Wai Yu Mun Ching most likely have?
2. What causes this disease (bacteria, virus, algae, toxin, etc.)
3. Name some other foods that can transmit this disease
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
Knyte_Xjn

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

jimmy-bond wrote:Since there isn't a confirmed topic for next year, I'll stick with foodborne.
Wai Yu Mun Ching, a married Chinese feller, decided to ignore his diet and go out to a dinner buffet while his wife, Ai Wa Ching Yu, was on a business trip. At the buffet, Wai Yu Mun Ching wants to eat some fish, which he promised himself to give up during his diet. Out of the corner of the slits he calls “eyes”, he sees a trash can filled with red snappers, one of his favorite dishes. Looking around, he saw that no one else had any red snapper. So, being a true man and respecting the 5-minute rule (because 5-seconds is only for wimps), Wai Yu Mun Ching fills his plate up with the glorious fish and starts inhaling them, since he didn’t want other people asking where he got the fish from. After leaving the restaurant, having consumed a couple hundred red snappers, he didn’t eat anything else for the remainder of the night. The next morning, as soon as he wakes up, Wai Yu Mun Ching experiences nausea and diarrhea, but doesn’t know why.
1. Ciguatera
2. toxin
3. large reef fish such as barracuda, grouper, reel, amberjack, sea bass, and Spanish mackerel
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:Since there isn't a confirmed topic for next year, I'll stick with foodborne.
1. Ciguatera
2. toxin
3. large reef fish such as barracuda, grouper, reel, amberjack, sea bass, and Spanish mackerel
Yep. Your go.
Knyte_Xjn

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:
1. Ciguatera
2. toxin
Yep. Your go.
Sorry for the delay!
State each step of the chain of infection and provide an example.
By the way, environmental quality is the topic for this year, as disease topics rotate on a biennial basis.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Knyte_Xjn wrote:Sorry for the delay!
By the way, environmental quality is the topic for this year, as disease topics rotate on a biennial basis.
1. Agent: Common cold virus
2. Reservoir: A person who has been infected
3. Portal of Exit: Sneezing(through nose)
4. Mode of Transmission: Airborne
5. Portal of Entry: Respiratory tract
6. Susceptible Host: Typically young kids
Also I like to tell myself that foodborne is a possibility but I know it's *retches* environmental quality
Knyte_Xjn

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:Sorry for the delay!
1. Agent: Common cold virus
2. Reservoir: A person who has been infected
3. Portal of Exit: Sneezing(through nose)
4. Mode of Transmission: Airborne
5. Portal of Entry: Respiratory tract
6. Susceptible Host: Typically young kids
Also I like to tell myself that foodborne is a possibility but I know it's *retches* environmental quality
Correct, your turn!
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Describe bioaccumulation and how it can lead to mercury poisoning in humans.
(I believe this relates to environmental quality. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

jimmy-bond wrote:Describe bioaccumulation and how it can lead to mercury poisoning in humans.
(I believe this relates to environmental quality. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
People eat food, which might have mercury. The body cannot remove mercury faster than it comes in when you eat too much stuff with mercury (ie large fish, see side note). This leads to mercury poisoning. (side note: larger predatory fish have more mercury cuz of biomagnefication but that's irrevelant to the problem)
I like birds.
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Birdmusic wrote:
People eat food, which might have mercury. The body cannot remove mercury faster than it comes in when you eat too much stuff with mercury (ie large fish, see side note). This leads to mercury poisoning. (side note: larger predatory fish have more mercury cuz of biomagnefication but that's irrevelant to the problem)
Yep. Your turn.

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”