Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by venules »

sourpatchkids wrote:Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?
Most of the generic/conceptual information (outbreak investigation, epidemics, etc.) is the same every year, but topical questions differ. You can look at some of the practice tests on the wiki related to environmental quality (2013/2014) to get a feel for the kinds of questions asked. The wiki itself is still incomplete, so you can search for practice tips or resources online (just search "disease detectives environmental quality").
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
jxxu20
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

I'll be doing DD for the first time next season ... can someone give me advice on how to prepare for the event (Enviro Quality specifically)? What resources are out there that can help me prepare (I'm pretty sure that a textbook wouldn't do for this event)? Any comments + suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by venules »

jxxu20 wrote:I'll be doing DD for the first time next season ... can someone give me advice on how to prepare for the event (Enviro Quality specifically)? What resources are out there that can help me prepare (I'm pretty sure that a textbook wouldn't do for this event)? Any comments + suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The training guides and PowerPoints on the national SO website would be a good start. There are some textbooks that can help you with the basics of epidemiology (one link provided by SOINC is to CDC, which also has a plethora of other resources for learning the event), but you should also answer practice questions (calculations and reasoning) in addition to your reading.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
jxxu20
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

Thanks ... another question: the focus of the 2018-2019 season is Environmental Quality. How should I study for that and can someone give examples of how this topic will be assessed in varying degrees of competition?

Note: The final events chart for 2018-2019 originally showed "Environmental Quality" underneath DD but it was soon deleted. Does this mean that the event will focus on epidemiology as a whole (not just EQ), or is that just a mistake on the Event Committee's behalf? Here's the link to the events chart:

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _FInal.pdf

Sorry for the questions ... DD newbie here XD
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

jxxu20 wrote:Thanks ... another question: the focus of the 2018-2019 season is Environmental Quality. How should I study for that and can someone give examples of how this topic will be assessed in varying degrees of competition?

Note: The final events chart for 2018-2019 originally showed "Environmental Quality" underneath DD but it was soon deleted. Does this mean that the event will focus on epidemiology as a whole (not just EQ), or is that just a mistake on the Event Committee's behalf? Here's the link to the events chart:

I'm not sure either, but I just want to assure you that DD tests usually don't focus on the topic anyway.
Neruos73
State: VA

Post by Neruos73 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
jxxu20 wrote:Thanks ... another question: the focus of the 2018-2019 season is Environmental Quality. How should I study for that and can someone give examples of how this topic will be assessed in varying degrees of competition?

I'm not sure either, but I just want to assure you that DD tests usually don't focus on the topic anyway.
It says on the VA state website that the focus is Environmental Quality for 2018-2019. They don't really ask many questions on environmental quality (and population growth) though, only foodborne diseases
Division B:
Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission,  and WIDI
Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster
Division C:
Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Disease Detectives
The48thYoshi
State: IL

Post by The48thYoshi »

Neruos73 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

It says on the VA state website that the focus is Environmental Quality for 2018-2019. They don't really ask many questions on environmental quality (and population growth) though, only foodborne diseases
I’m kinda late to this but from the tests I’ve taken from the last time EQ was the focus, all I have to say is that the event itself with still be on epidemiology. Some invitationals, regionals, or even state tests this year may have had random trivia questions regarding food borne illnesses which don’t really follow the rules and that is probably what you’re worried about when asking about studying for EQ. In general on the tests, EQ is just that the diseases and conditions that are analyzed in the case studies are caused by environmental factors rather than food borne pathogens. Case studies will be on conditions such as lead poisoning or asthma to name a few I can remember at the top of my head from various nationals tests, but ultimately, it is just epidemiology
aeshs ‘22

Return to “2018 Study Events”