Geologic Mapping C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Geologic Mapping C

Post by Adi1008 »

Geologic Mapping C: Teams will demonstrate understanding in the construction and use of topographic maps, geologic maps, and cross sections, and their use in forming interpretations regarding subsurface structures and geohazard risks.

Geologic Mapping Wiki

Geologic Mapping Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2012 (NY Trial), 2013 (NY Trial), 2014, 2015, 2016

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?
Don't buy a geologic compass until before Nationals (for you, maybe State). The chances of it showing up at any tournament other than Nationals are very close to zero. Past Nationals questions involving the geologic compass only used it for a dip measurement, as far as I can remember.

I printed my stereonet off of the internet, although I was really bad at stereonets when I competed.

In case I've misinterpreted the second question (and for the benefit of others who may not know), the intended stereonet is the Lambert equal-area projection - for example, this stereonet.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Unome wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:How complex of a geologic compass do people recommend? What type of equal area stereonet should we use?
Don't buy a geologic compass until before Nationals (for you, maybe State). The chances of it showing up at any tournament other than Nationals are very close to zero. Past Nationals questions involving the geologic compass only used it for a dip measurement, as far as I can remember.

I printed my stereonet off of the internet, although I was really bad at stereonets when I competed.

In case I've misinterpreted the second question (and for the benefit of others who may not know), the intended stereonet is the Lambert equal-area projection - for example, this stereonet.
@Compass: Or try to contact a university? They might be far, but it can be an easier way to get a hold of one. They can also be incredibly expensive. You could also just use a regular basic compass (like http://www.libertymountain.com/SupplyIm ... 40x340.jpg), and try problems out with it as if it were the real deal (which should be fine if they just want you to measure strike and dip?).

Printing stereonets off the internet is fine! What Unome said is correct, but I'll add that it might help to have one that has the numbers, etc labeled (EX: http://www.yasareren.net/yasareren/ders ... reonet.jpg). Do search around, though.

Other things you'll need: See through paper (you can get tracing paper from art stores or online). Everyday paper is usually only semi see through or completely opaque. Whatever works, though, I've heard some use parchment paper (though, I liked the tracing paper when I did it...). You also want to get thumbtacks/pins with a flat bottom, like https://www.amazon.com/BAZIC-Brass-Thum ... B00KGDETJO but maybe could find a cheaper option.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

syo_astro wrote:
Unome wrote:

@Compass: Or try to contact a university? They might be far, but it can be an easier way to get a hold of one. They can also be incredibly expensive. You could also just use a regular basic compass (like http://www.libertymountain.com/SupplyIm ... 40x340.jpg), and try problems out with it as if it were the real deal (which should be fine if they just want you to measure strike and dip?).

Printing stereonets off the internet is fine! What Unome said is correct, but I'll add that it might help to have one that has the numbers, etc labeled (EX: http://www.yasareren.net/yasareren/ders ... reonet.jpg). Do search around, though.
I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Would it be helpful at all to print out the stereonet on clear plastic? I'm not exactly sure what we use it for yet as I haven't really looked at past tests or anything.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

ScottMaurer19 wrote: I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Would it be helpful at all to print out the stereonet on clear plastic? I'm not exactly sure what we use it for yet as I haven't really looked at past tests or anything.
Yeahhh...when I competed we never even used compasses, and it doesn't sound like Unome did much either. But I recall it in the rules this year from skimming, right? It probably won't be a huge issue either way >.>.

It won't be helpful (to my knowledge) to print out the stereonet on anything special. Imo a lot of the tools necessary are mostly meant to be cheapish (though, I guess it stacks up b/c printing, thumbtacks, etc). To get an idea of what you'll be doing, you can check out a video like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_3W-UrP8k (the videos used to suck when I did it in 2012...at least since 2014 I would hope they've improved >.>). There are various (hopefully now) better resources for actually understanding what a stereonet is / how to work with one, though.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

syo_astro wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I'm assuming for compasses they would use a basic one. I would hope they don't have problems that would require of the expensive ones as that would definitely give an unfair advantage to some teams.

Yeahhh...when I competed we never even used compasses, and it doesn't sound like Unome did much either. But I recall it in the rules this year from skimming, right? It probably won't be a huge issue either way >.>.

It won't be helpful (to my knowledge) to print out the stereonet on anything special. Imo a lot of the tools necessary are mostly meant to be cheapish (though, I guess it stacks up b/c printing, thumbtacks, etc). To get an idea of what you'll be doing, you can check out a video like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_3W-UrP8k (the videos used to suck when I did it in 2012...at least since 2014 I would hope they've improved >.>). There are various (hopefully now) better resources for actually understanding what a stereonet is / how to work with one, though.
Yeah, I did this event the last time it was around (and hated it soooooo much!) but I remember back then the rules said "stereonet and tracing paper," so I guess that meant you could print the stereonet normally like how you would print anything else and then when you actually use it, you would put tracing paper on top of it to do all the drawing needed to solve the problem.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

Can someone link me to a good resource on how to solve three-point problems?
Also i cant find how to solve numbers 1-6 on this test:
https://scioly.org/wiki/images/f/fa/Pen ... g_Test.pdf
this figure is linked here
https://scioly.org/wiki/images/c/c1/Pen ... IGURES.pdf

may someone please explain?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

On 3. c., there's something about "subsurface geometries," but I don't understand what exactly they are. Would somebody mind explaining what these are so I can look into it a little deeper? I just need to know what they are and the gist of it, no need for in-depth explanations. Thank you!
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:On 3. c., there's something about "subsurface geometries," but I don't understand what exactly they are. Would somebody mind explaining what these are so I can look into it a little deeper? I just need to know what they are and the gist of it, no need for in-depth explanations. Thank you!
I don't really know much about them, but they're the shape of folds/faults/etc. underground.

Return to “2019 Study Events”