Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Things2do »

Rossyspsce wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
arv101 wrote:
Do you think that they will change the allowed materials greatly?
I'm not sure if they will allow aerogel next year. Otherwise, probably not.

However, they might go back to the no foam thing from a few years back.
Was aerogel good this year? I talked to a bunch of the teams and from their experience aerogel was really bad at containing heat in the water
Our aerogel did great. We put it inside of a hollowed out foam cube to hold it in place. It would have been even better, but we didn't insulate the lid... It wasn't the best, but it was actually aerogel. Ebay saved us a lot of money that we didn't have there.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Rossyspsce wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
arv101 wrote:
Do you think that they will change the allowed materials greatly?
I'm not sure if they will allow aerogel next year. Otherwise, probably not.

However, they might go back to the no foam thing from a few years back.
Was aerogel good this year? I talked to a bunch of the teams and from their experience aerogel was really bad at containing heat in the water
Aerogel is actually suprisingly bad at containing the heat in water. We used it and we got better results with our original device made out of foam board.
arv101
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by arv101 »

I know that this is late but does anyone remember what their final temperature at nats was?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
Neruos73
Division: C
State: VA

Post by Neruos73 »

Is Thermodynamics C very difficult and does it require advanced chemistry knowledge? I am a rising freshman looking at this event and I want to make sure if I might be able to do it.
Division B:
Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission,  and WIDI
Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster
Division C:
Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Disease Detectives
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Neruos73 wrote:Is Thermodynamics C very difficult and does it require advanced chemistry knowledge? I am a rising freshman looking at this event and I want to make sure if I might be able to do it.
Not too much chemistry knowledge. You can probably pick up a lot of the chemistry just by looking in a chem textbook, or even just Googling "enthalpy reactions" or such.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Neruos73

Post by Neruos73 »

Unome wrote:
Neruos73 wrote:Is Thermodynamics C very difficult and does it require advanced chemistry knowledge? I am a rising freshman looking at this event and I want to make sure if I might be able to do it.
Not too much chemistry knowledge. You can probably pick up a lot of the chemistry just by looking in a chem textbook, or even just Googling "enthalpy reactions" or such.
Thanks! :D
Division B:
Division C:
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Neruos73 wrote:
Unome wrote:
It's actually not that different from Thermo B; if you've studied AP Chem and Physics II it should be really easy (they're not allowed to go into differentials, as far as I've seen, which is a relief). The only things you should need to know from Chem is the ideal gas law, Gibbs free energy, Distributions, specific heat, and possibly RMS (relative molecular speed), and all of these are either basic algebra or simple concepts.
Neruos73

Post by Neruos73 »

JoeyC wrote:
Neruos73 wrote:
Unome wrote: Not too much chemistry knowledge. You can probably pick up a lot of the chemistry just by looking in a chem textbook, or even just Googling "enthalpy reactions" or such.
It's actually not that different from Thermo B; if you've studied AP Chem and Physics II it should be really easy (they're not allowed to go into differentials, as far as I've seen, which is a relief). The only things you should need to know from Chem is the ideal gas law, Gibbs free energy, Distributions, specific heat, and possibly RMS (relative molecular speed), and all of these are either basic algebra or simple concepts.
Ah that's a relief. I thought there would be a bit of calculus involved since I saw it on a website that was recommended by SciOly.
Division B:
Division C:
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Neruos73 wrote:
JoeyC wrote:
Neruos73 wrote: Thanks! :D
Ah that's a relief. I thought there would be a bit of calculus involved since I saw it on a website that was recommended by SciOly.
Yeah, SciOly generally discourages event supervisors from using too advanced calculus on their tests since they believe it’s almost certain that several people doing those events maybe will have not learned calculus yet in school or something. However, that doesn’t mean it’s completely not allowed, so some could appear if the event supervisor chooses to put it on their test.

In real life, yes, thermodynamics DOES involve lots of diffeq’s and calculus. We event supervisors just don’t always make you do it. If you wanna see examples of that, check out a YouTube channel called “Professor Thermo” (it’s the channel of the Professor I had for Thermodynamics of Biological Systems II this past semester), that’ll show you some extremely hardcore thermo.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

JoeyC wrote:
Neruos73 wrote:
Unome wrote: Not too much chemistry knowledge. You can probably pick up a lot of the chemistry just by looking in a chem textbook, or even just Googling "enthalpy reactions" or such.
I wouldnt be so quick to limit yourself to what is covered in those classes. As an ES and someone who took both those classes, I typically know what to expect students to know from school and purposefully make my tests go much more in detail with those concepts. Even though the rules "limit" what I can test, many of those concepts have way more breadth than what is covered in AP classes. Take what you learned in those classes as a foundation and build off of it.

As far as calc goes, I would NEVER make students use calc on an exam. A lot of the basic formulas were derived using calc so knowing the end product of those derivations and understanding conceptually how the derivations were done can be helpful, but you should never be expected to derive anything using calc yourself on a test.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2018 Lab Events”