Events 2018-2019

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Events 2018-2019

Post by pikachu4919 »

meierfra wrote:
chalker wrote:
meierfra wrote:
Yes.

Since my invite doesn't run 60 teams, but only 36, I can complete each event in 3 time blocks. It's convenient to run 3 overlapping event groupings in the morning and 3 in the afternoon.

If the 4 longest grading events are scheduled into 3 time blocks, for example Forensics and ED at the same time, then I can schedule teams 1-12 to do Forensics and ED at 9, Protein Modeling at 10 and WIDI at 11. Teams 13-24 would do PM at 9, WIDI at 10 and For and ED at 11. Teams 25-36 would do WIDI at 9, Forensics and ED at 10, and PM at 11. This way I can get all teams done with these events by noon.

If I would need a 4th time block, testing for that event wouldn't end until 3:00.

Let me know if I'm still not clear.
I think I understand now, but I also think you might not be fully thinking through all the 6 -> 3 time block consolidation options. Based upon what you've said, what I assume you've done is to essentially take the nationals schedule, delete the blocks with numbers 31-40, 41-50, 51-60 (and renumber the remaining blocks to 1-12, 13-24, 25-36)? Hence I think your initial request to have certain events be in the 'morning' is really saying that on the national schedule you want certain events to have teams 1-10 in the first time block, certain events to have them in the second time block, and certain ones in the third time block.

However, a key thing that I think might help you is that when we talk about 'following the national schedule', we generally don't talk about the order in which the teams compete in a certain event during the day, but rather the groupings of which events have the same teams competing at the same time (like I discussed above). An illustration of this is the fact that you could rearrange the order of any of the columns on the national schedule (e.g. maybe swap the 8:15-9:15 block with the 1:30-2:30 block) and still be 'following the national schedule.

When going to 2 sets of 3 time blocks (e.g. AM and PM), you should have even more flexibility in changes since you've eliminated half the events from the 'conflict' equation.
Hence, it really doesn't matter which teams come before other teams on the national schedule for what you are trying to accomplish - what matters is just that the 'conflicts' between events are maintained/avoided.
Sorry, I now think I see where the confusion is. I wasn't trying to ask that these events be in the morning on the national schedule; I was only asking that they be scheduled in such a way that I can put them in the morning at my tournament. Going back and re-reading my posts, I wasn't clear.

I realize that I can swap the 8:15 block for the 1:30, or any of them. I realize that I don't need those events in the morning on the national schedule (and whether that phrase even makes sense.) I realize that the order I place events does not change the conflicts.

What I would like is that those 4 events (PM, ED, For, WIDI) be put into 3 blocks, or one be self-scheduled, so that I can schedule them into the morning at my tournament. The reason I want them in the morning at my tournament is the length of time it takes to grade, especially when it's being done by one school, or even one person. If those 4 events are on the national schedule in 3 blocks (anywhere), then I will be able to schedule them into the morning at my tournament.

Thanks for sticking with me.
You said you run a tournament. If that’s the case and you are a tournament exec, you have the right to do whatever you want with your tournament’s schedule. It is true that lots of tournaments look to the national schedule for guidelines, but NSO is not going to force you to schedule your tournament a certain way, nor any other tournament that takes place (for example, there are several states that do not follow the national schedule for their state tournament - my home state, Indiana, is one of them). I’m not sure why you need to tell chalker what you want for your tournament when neither he nor anyone else on NSO would force you to make your schedule one way or another.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pikachu4919 wrote:
meierfra wrote:
chalker wrote:
I think I understand now, but I also think you might not be fully thinking through all the 6 -> 3 time block consolidation options. Based upon what you've said, what I assume you've done is to essentially take the nationals schedule, delete the blocks with numbers 31-40, 41-50, 51-60 (and renumber the remaining blocks to 1-12, 13-24, 25-36)? Hence I think your initial request to have certain events be in the 'morning' is really saying that on the national schedule you want certain events to have teams 1-10 in the first time block, certain events to have them in the second time block, and certain ones in the third time block.

However, a key thing that I think might help you is that when we talk about 'following the national schedule', we generally don't talk about the order in which the teams compete in a certain event during the day, but rather the groupings of which events have the same teams competing at the same time (like I discussed above). An illustration of this is the fact that you could rearrange the order of any of the columns on the national schedule (e.g. maybe swap the 8:15-9:15 block with the 1:30-2:30 block) and still be 'following the national schedule.

When going to 2 sets of 3 time blocks (e.g. AM and PM), you should have even more flexibility in changes since you've eliminated half the events from the 'conflict' equation.
Hence, it really doesn't matter which teams come before other teams on the national schedule for what you are trying to accomplish - what matters is just that the 'conflicts' between events are maintained/avoided.
Sorry, I now think I see where the confusion is. I wasn't trying to ask that these events be in the morning on the national schedule; I was only asking that they be scheduled in such a way that I can put them in the morning at my tournament. Going back and re-reading my posts, I wasn't clear.

I realize that I can swap the 8:15 block for the 1:30, or any of them. I realize that I don't need those events in the morning on the national schedule (and whether that phrase even makes sense.) I realize that the order I place events does not change the conflicts.

What I would like is that those 4 events (PM, ED, For, WIDI) be put into 3 blocks, or one be self-scheduled, so that I can schedule them into the morning at my tournament. The reason I want them in the morning at my tournament is the length of time it takes to grade, especially when it's being done by one school, or even one person. If those 4 events are on the national schedule in 3 blocks (anywhere), then I will be able to schedule them into the morning at my tournament.

You said you run a tournament. If that’s the case and you are a tournament exec, you have the right to do whatever you want with your tournament’s schedule. It is true that lots of tournaments look to the national schedule for guidelines, but NSO is not going to force you to schedule your tournament a certain way, nor any other tournament that takes place (for example, there are several states that do not follow the national schedule for their state tournament - my home state, Indiana, is one of them). I’m not sure why you need to tell chalker what you want for your tournament when neither he nor anyone else on NSO would force you to make your schedule one way or another.
All true, but I imagine having a different schedule than almost every regional and the state tournament and most invitationals is going to quickly send people running.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MIScioly1
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MIScioly1 »

Unome wrote: All true, but I imagine having a different schedule than almost every regional and the state tournament and most invitationals is going to quickly send people running.
Yep. Michigan States always mimics the national schedule conflicts. Some regionals do, some don't, but invitationals almost always follow the national conflicts in MI.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
meierfra
Coach
Coach
Division: C

Post by meierfra »

pikachu4919 wrote: You said you run a tournament. If that’s the case and you are a tournament exec, you have the right to do whatever you want with your tournament’s schedule. It is true that lots of tournaments look to the national schedule for guidelines, but NSO is not going to force you to schedule your tournament a certain way, nor any other tournament that takes place (for example, there are several states that do not follow the national schedule for their state tournament - my home state, Indiana, is one of them). I’m not sure why you need to tell chalker what you want for your tournament when neither he nor anyone else on NSO would force you to make your schedule one way or another.
I realize that I have control over the schedule of my tournament, but since teams around here expect to see the national schedule at an invite, I just thought I'd ask, if it's possible, if it's not too much trouble, that it would be convenient for me and other smaller tournaments who want to follow the national schedule. If it's not possible, if it is too much trouble, I understand. I just thought I'd ask before the schedule came out.
Last edited by meierfra on August 14th, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Meierfra, I'm totally on board with what you're saying. Each year, we do our best in SoCal to match the event conflicts from the National schedule and then move the time-consuming events to the morning three blocks. The challenge for us is knowing which events will take longer to grade. I might be wrong here, but I suspect that the list of events challenging to grade isn't consistent from tournament to tournament.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

meierfra wrote: What I would like is that those 4 events (PM, ED, For, WIDI) be put into 3 blocks, or one be self-scheduled, so that I can schedule them into the morning at my tournament. The reason I want them in the morning at my tournament is the length of time it takes to grade, especially when it's being done by one school, or even one person. If those 4 events are on the national schedule in 3 blocks (anywhere), then I will be able to schedule them into the morning at my tournament.

Gotcha. The current draft national schedule for next year that I have access to appears to meet your requirements. ED is always during the impound block at Nationals. WIDI and Forensics are in the same block and 'conflict' with each other. PM is in a different block. Hence, they span 3 blocks.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Neruos73
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Neruos73 »

chalker wrote:
meierfra wrote: What I would like is that those 4 events (PM, ED, For, WIDI) be put into 3 blocks, or one be self-scheduled, so that I can schedule them into the morning at my tournament. The reason I want them in the morning at my tournament is the length of time it takes to grade, especially when it's being done by one school, or even one person. If those 4 events are on the national schedule in 3 blocks (anywhere), then I will be able to schedule them into the morning at my tournament.

Gotcha. The current draft national schedule for next year that I have access to appears to meet your requirements. ED is always during the impound block at Nationals. WIDI and Forensics are in the same block and 'conflict' with each other. PM is in a different block. Hence, they span 3 blocks.
Is the impound block the period of time when all teams compete in 2 events and if it is what is the other event besides ED? Also, does the draft schedule have any conflicts between DD, Therm., Chem Lab, and Astronomy?
Division B:
Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission,  and WIDI
Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster
Division C:
Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Disease Detectives
meierfra
Coach
Coach

Post by meierfra »

chalker wrote:

That's great to hear. Thank you for letting me know.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Neruos73 wrote:
chalker wrote:

Is the impound block the period of time when all teams compete in 2 events and if it is what is the other event besides ED? Also, does the draft schedule have any conflicts between DD, Therm., Chem Lab, and Astronomy?
:?: For that matter, are there any conflicts between the Earth Science events?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Please try to avoid turning this thread into another chalker AMA thread. The rules are expected to be released in two and a half weeks, and the national schedule typically accompanies them. Have a little patience.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Competition”