Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Magnet Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.xii

Similar to last year's Start Task.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Nagooyen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Magnet activates mouse trap activating lever system

Post by Nagooyen »

If our magnet drops onto a mouse trap, would it be legal if technically the magnet initiates the next action by activating a mouse trap which activates a lever system? Can we use a mouse trap to activate a lever system?
Unome
State: GA

Re: Magnet activates mouse trap activating lever system

Post by Unome »

Nagooyen wrote:If our magnet drops onto a mouse trap, would it be legal if technically the magnet initiates the next action by activating a mouse trap which activates a lever system? Can we use a mouse trap to activate a lever system?
I would recommend you word your ASL something like this:

- ... causes magnet to fall
- Falling magnet activates a mousetrap. (this would be a non-scorable action)
- Mousetrap activates a 1st class lever, which activates a 2nd class level...

Alternatively, a mousetrap is a lever, so you could skip the extra step entirely.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Re: Magnet Task

Post by PM2017 »

When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

PM2017 wrote:When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
I think this is very borderline. I would recommend against it.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote:When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

terence.tan wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.
Would you not argue that the magnet falling is initiating the next action by providing the gravitational force to combine the compounds to start the chemical reaction, which is the next task?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

windu34 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
terence.tan wrote: i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules

Would you not argue that the magnet falling is initiating the next action by providing the gravitational force to combine the compounds to start the chemical reaction, which is the next task?
That's likely what I would have argued, but it's still rather iffy.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

PM2017 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

That's likely what I would have argued, but it's still rather iffy.
Again, it depends on the exact execution and the wording of the ASL. But it would make me nervous as a coach based on the information I have available.

Return to “Mission Possible C”