Codebusters C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Codebusters C

Post by Adi1008 »

Codebusters C: Teams will cryptanalze (decode) encrypted messages using cryptanalysis techniques and show skill with advanced ciphers by encrypting or decrypting a message.

Codebusters Wiki

Codebusters Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2018 (Trial)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Codebusters C

Post by Riptide »

It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Riptide wrote:It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?
If the first question is simply numerical, I would refer you to 4.b.iii.

However, if the answer is non-numerical I agree there is ambiguity. I would assume they mean to apply the bonus if you have two or fewer errors (as this would result in full credit). However, an FAQ would be beneficial.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

why do codebusters and circuit lab conflict. I am pretty sure that may people do both events
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules »

terence.tan wrote:why do codebusters and circuit lab conflict. I am pretty sure that may people do both events
This is the first year that Codebusters is a national event, so there is no sure way of knowing how many people wish to participate in both events.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Riptide wrote:It seems like you can now get points for a question even if you have more than 2 errors (100 points deducted for each error after). How does this work for the first question with the time bonus? If you answer it with lets say 3 errors would it be counted right with a deduction of 100 points or must it be within 2 errors in order it to be counted correct for the bonus?
If the first question is simply numerical, I would refer you to 4.b.iii.

However, if the answer is non-numerical I agree there is ambiguity. I would assume they mean to apply the bonus if you have two or fewer errors (as this would result in full credit). However, an FAQ would be beneficial.
According to the rules (3.i.i), the timed question is an Aristocrat (mono--alphabetic with spaces) with or without hint. Last year's National trial and I believe the Indiana State trial as well took the timed question at full value if there were less than three errors (see Wisconsin 2018 trial rules, 3.d). In this case nicholasmaurer would be correct.

Since it would not make sense to accept a cryptogram and then deduct "bonus" points, I think that they will look for the same thing this year. Of course, an official clarification would help.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

Does anyone have an idea what is expected in the RSA cipher (3.f.iv)? It seems to complicated for encryption or decryption (especially with a 4 function) so what would be tested? I think either a mathematical crypt-analysis or a basic knowledge of how it works might be it.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

l0lit wrote:Does anyone have an idea what is expected in the RSA cipher (3.f.iv)? It seems to complicated for encryption or decryption (especially with a 4 function) so what would be tested? I think either a mathematical crypt-analysis or a basic knowledge of how it works might be it.
Yes, it might be fairly complicated as this is a topic reserved for the state/national tournaments. The way I interpret 3.a. I would not expect basic knowledge questions on any CodeBusters exams - everything should be application questions where you are encrypting or decrypting messages using the methods listed in 3.e and 3.f
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

trdd wrote:Per (f.vi.) at least one of them has to be in Spanish for State and Nationals. So here's an easy standard one in Spanish. It is the first verse of a ridiculous hyperbolic poem: Try to solve it by hand without computers and post how fast you did.
FV QVBF HA QVN PRTNEN GBQN SHRAGR QR YHM, RY HAVIREFB FR NYHZOENEVN PBA RFBF BWBF DHR GVRARF GH.
trdd wrote:This one should be an easy one for anyone out there:
GUVF VF N FGNAQNEQ NAQ PBZZBA EBG GUVEGRRA PNRFNE PVCURE. UBJ DHVPXYL QVQ LBH FBYIR VG JVGUBHG HFVAT BAYVAR ERFBHEPRF?
These should be asked in the question marathon forum.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The preceding posts have been moved to the question marathon.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2019 Lab Events”