Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I would refer you to the track diagram here which is incorporated as part of the rules per 6.a.
I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)
You're right - that is last year's diagram. I expect the new one will be out very soon and should clarify the measurements. It's hard to visualize/interpret without a diagram.
From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
I think that might be the 2018 diagram. But thanks! I'll just wait until the diagram comes out :)
You're right - that is last year's diagram. I expect the new one will be out very soon and should clarify the measurements. It's hard to visualize/interpret without a diagram.
From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".
In that case how will the wing nut mechanism work?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

terence.tan wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I was thinking of using a one sided wing nut

This is my interpretation of the new track:
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

absolutezerok3 wrote: This is my interpretation of the new track:
That's about what I was thinking. If only they would update this so we would know for sure.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

absolutezerok3 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Unome wrote: From my reading, the position of the VTP is clear - the distances in 6.c.i are measured from the CTP. At regional and state distances the VTP is closer to the CTP than the SP. Although, I'm not quite certain what is meant by "right side", although I suspect "when facing the CTP" implies "when facing the CTP from the VTP".

what would be different about the one sided wing nut as to the normal setup. Because with the normal setup the mtv can only stop at its original spot or a spot behind the start point. How would we get the mtv to stop ahead of the start point?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Achillesduo

Post by Achillesduo »

Things2do wrote:The Rules are harsh difficult strenuous strange this year.
That second trap might be too much power for the track.
Because of the distances?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

terence.tan wrote:
absolutezerok3 wrote:
terence.tan wrote: In that case how will the wing nut mechanism work?

what would be different about the one sided wing nut as to the normal setup. Because with the normal setup the mtv can only stop at its original spot or a spot behind the start point. How would we get the mtv to stop ahead of the start point?
Modified width of the stopping rod?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

terence.tan wrote:
absolutezerok3 wrote:
terence.tan wrote: In that case how will the wing nut mechanism work?

You can design a pass through for the wing nut. You start the wing nut at a point before the "pass through" lock point. The wing nut in the course of its forward travel passes though or by the lock point and upon its return it catches or abutts against the lock point. Remember the wing nut would flip over if it wasn't constrained by two edges of a channel. Think about removing one edge thereby allowing the wing nut to flip over and so the other ear of the wing nut can be exploited to stop the vehicle.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Things2do wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Anyone care to comment on whether the 3oz cup rule (5.c.) refers to weight or volume? I would assume volume - but it seems like a pretty glaring ambiguity to me...
It sounded like volume to me too. It would be hard to find a 3oz weight paper cup, and the ES couldn't put anything in it since it's upside down.

What does the sponsorship of the event by Lockheed Martin do for the event?
I believe they, Lockheed Martin, contribute money to run the National Event.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

mnoga wrote:
Things2do wrote:What does the sponsorship of the event by Lockheed Martin do for the event?
I believe they, Lockheed Martin, contribute money to run the National Event.
Not quite. The event is run by NSO people, not Lockheed Martin reps. Lockheed Martin supplies the scholarships for the event champions at nationals
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”