Battery Buggy B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Battery Buggy B

Post by windu34 »

Battery Buggy: Teams will construct a vehicle that uses electrical energy as its sole means of propulsion, quickly travels a specified distance, and stops as close as possible to the Target Point.

Battery Buggy Wiki

Battery Buggy Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by SPP SciO »

First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Three pages of Battery Buggy rules this year! I've never seen such a thing - I guess it's a luxury of digital vs. paper rules manuals.

First specific question (likely many to follow) - is it safe to assume "wheel setting" in the required practice log parameters refers to axle rotations, or is there something more I'm missing?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

I'm going to assume wheel setting is however you and your partner wound the wheel. It could be you counting the amount of rotations, amount of rotations of a gear, distance, position of the wingnut on the axle, or whatever system you and your partner use.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:I'm going to assume wheel setting is however you and your partner wound the wheel. It could be you counting the amount of rotations, amount of rotations of a gear, distance, position of the wingnut on the axle, or whatever system you and your partner use.
Unofficially, I would agree with this interpretation
M017
Division: B
State: NE
Has thanked: 0

Post by M017 »

SPP SciO wrote:First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Three pages of Battery Buggy rules this year! I've never seen such a thing - I guess it's a luxury of digital vs. paper rules manuals.

First specific question (likely many to follow) - is it safe to assume "wheel setting" in the required practice log parameters refers to axle rotations, or is there something more I'm missing?
What is the scoring bonus? (I haven't gotten a chance to look at the rules yet)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

M017 wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Cans, as in 2017 Electric Vehicle. A high-scoring vehicle would curve between the cans, which can be closer together at the discretion of the currently competing team for a higher bonus. See 6.b, 5.g, and 7.e.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
builder83
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

Unome wrote:
M017 wrote:

Cans, as in 2017 Electric Vehicle. A high-scoring vehicle would curve between the cans, which can be closer together at the discretion of the currently competing team for a higher bonus. See 6.b, 5.g, and 7.e.
Yeah I saw the electric vehicle. Except they could electronically adjust steering. Manually (mechanically) adjusting steering on the spot will be the challenge I think.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
builder83
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

MadCow2357 wrote:I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?
Probably. Figure the difference between shooting through a 20 cm gap compared to a 40 cm gap is 10 points. Equivalent to being off by 5 cm. Accuracy will be much more difficult. Speed not much of a factor. Dial caliper or something like it may be good. Adjusting for steering and distance I think I need 20 minutes instead of 8...
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?
This will highly depend on what state you are in and the competitiveness of the tournament. Being able to successfully do the bonus will give you a way larger margin of error to perform poorly in accuracy compared to a device that cant do the bonus. The bonus is weighted EXTREMELY heavily, 250% more than it was in EV 2017. If you want to be competitive at even a moderately uncompetitive tournament (example Florida States), you shouldn't even consider not doing the bonus. However, I am sure there are a few very uncompetitive tournaments across the country that will have non-bonus devices taking medals.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”